Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The sub forums have all been merged into Time for Tea. Hugs and Good News remain seperate and may be removed rather than merged due to confidentiality concerns.
    Dismiss Notice

A car crash of an interview

Discussion in 'Time for Tea' started by Tregaron, July 20, 2018.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

This is in the news, but I have to say I don't think I have seen such an unnecessarily rude interviewer in a very long time. Naga Munchetty cut off Sir David Attenborough repeatedly, stared at her notes throughout, and kept trying to avoid discussing what he had been invited there to discuss. What on earth do the BBC think they are doing?

2. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

The section that began "We can't talk..." was simply painful. What I object to is that he was invited to discuss the butterfly count and instead she started asking about meeting the Queen, and plastics, which have nothing to do with the topic. It smacks of false pretenses.

However at 92, he still has a sense of humour to be lauded, and I must congratulate him for slipping this past his oblivious interviewer.
    “And how did you feel when you saw it launch?”
    “It was a very moving occasion,”

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

She does seem to have forgotten how to ask feeder questions: Why is the butterfly count important? How do people take part? What might be causing the decline? What can we do to improve matters? Why are you supporting it?

Listening to it, I honestly feel as though someone, either the presenter or her editor, went off-script to try and get a scoop. The person responsible should not be working on live television. Even if it was the editor, the presenter (complete with ums, errs, and pauses) still chose to go along with it, and takes responsibility.

4. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

That was a bad interview. Those notes she's reading from should be readable in Hi-def. Can anyone get a copy?

5. jessica

jessica Active Member

Lots of fuss about this on twitter. The worst bit's the bit where he tries to get back to the subject::unsure::, and she actually forces the interview back off topic:eek:. She's so rude:down:!

6. atry

atry Member

Yes, but David Attenborough handled the entire thing with grace and class. I can imagine others who wouldn't.

7. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF New Member

Oh yeah? What do you know about working in TV?

8. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Over a decade working in it.

9. skye

skye Member

Come on, we should give her some leeway. She's obviously a junior presenter.

10. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I am not a great lover of her work, as I find the number of stutters, disfluencies, and fillers in her questions to be distracting during her interviews.

While anyone can be allowed one slip, this is hardly her worst interview. The one she did with Sadiq Khan was uncomfortable to watch. Normally I appreciate watching an interviewer nailing a politician to the wall, but she seemed to be trying to do it using rubber nails and a Fisher Price hammer.

11. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF New Member

Well shut my mouth. Sorry.

12. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

She's paid between £150,000 and £199,999 and worked for the BBC and Channel 4.

13. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Now while I understand the public fascination with the ship named after him, but I thought the point of an interview was to be stick to a single subject and inform as much as possible on it.

She seemed to have her own questions she was looking to have answered which differed from the ones everyone else was expecting. It's not like there was a scoop waiting to happen, which makes me wonder why on earth she did it?

14. skye

skye Member

I take it back. How on earth did she get that job?

15. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis New Member

Site Sponsors