Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Accessibility Issues for Forums

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by atry, November 8, 2019.

1. atry

atry Member

Did I really just see [modedit]another form[/modedit] close a thread about disabled accessibility because an able-bodied member kept attacking the disabled ones?

The thread started because the new forums don't work in screen readers.

A member who does not suffer these accessibility issues kept attacking the people that do.

Instead of blocking the member from the thread, [modedit]the moderators[/modedit] shut down discussion of accessibility issues.

What on earth? Talk about disabled erasure!

[mod note] @atry, your message has been restored after I pulled it into editing last night. We'll let it stand to discuss the issue only, not a specific board's actions. Do not encourage board wars.[/mod note]

Last edited by a moderator: November 9, 2019
  2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Ahem. We do not encourage Board Wars. Your post has been edited accordingly.

You have been around long enough to know the rules.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I don't find that hard to believe, as I gave up on the site because it is unuseable for me. Options don't work, Menus don't highlight, and the colour contrast makes guessing what my screen reader has selected as live options extremely hard.

I coded the wordcount addon here more easily than I can update my Wordcount on the actual site. Something is very badly broken.

Last edited by a moderator: November 9, 2019
  4. skye

skye Member

I apologise. When someone does the equivalent of telling a wheelchair user that if they just thought positively they could walk, it gets to me.

5. porridge

porridge Member

6. Terry

Terry Member

You would have thought with all the tech out there, that making a site disabled-accessible would have been out-of-the-box for whichever framework they decide to use. It's not like they aren't a ton of guidelines about it.

They are probably along the lines of everyone uses the same browser as the devs, so everyone else should change to fit.

Site Sponsors