Quantcast

Adult covers for children's books?

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by jessica, 28 Jul 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

There seem to be this whole range of children's books be reprinted with adult covers or collector's edition with foil. I've seen Terry Pratchett, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and many others. It seems to be a trend, but they all look the same, with a black background, little logo, and either foil or printed names. Almost as simple as the penguin orange band covers. If this look sells, why aren't there any indie editions using it?

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

In pratical terms they might be cheap, but I'd guess its because they don't thumbnail well. The fonts used for branding are delicate and don't stand out at 100x120 px, so you just get a row of black squares with pale areas that look much the same. It makes it hard for an author to create a unique brand and get a following.

3. atry

atry Member

I blame Twilight entirely.

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I was thinking something similar. These are all reprints. The original books had covers that matched their genres much more closely. If we get an indie who reaches the point of issuing collector's editions, we may see those covers turning up.

5. skye

skye Member

Isn't that the greyscale with optional red highlights design, that no appears on 50 Shades of Grey, Silvia Day and all the other adult titles? I don't think that is quite the same.

6. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

So as well as borrowing from Twilight between the covers, 50Shades borrowed from it on them?

7. porridge

porridge Member

Thought it was 'cos what look great on shelves looks shite on Kindles. Any of 'm use the frilly covers for ebook editions?

8. atry

atry Member

That's a really good point. The blacklit screens look OK, but e-ink washes them out.

Please don't use frilly in a thread with 50shades in it.

9. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I have no words...

10. Zelda

Zelda Member

I think that's more than likely it. Having a series look uniform on your shelves is aesthetically pleasing but they don't do much for you on Kindle or browsing through online bookstores. It's better for books that are already pretty well known.