Quantcast

Anyone had success with Patreon?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by jessica, 8 Jun 2018.

?

Does Patreon work for writers?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jessica

jessica Active Member

I keep seeing Patreon on writer's pages. It looks like its replaced Paypal tip jars, but does it work? I might drop a tip in Paypal but I'm not signing up to Patreon just to give and it looks like its regular donations only. Can authors really make money this way?

2. porridge

porridge Member

I guess 10 days of echoing silence kinda answers that

3. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I will confirm that it certainly didn't work for the club when we tried it. I think you were around for that @jessica

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I was holding off, hoping someone would reveal the magic trick to make Patreon work, but for me...nope. I tried it for a couple of web series, and got one whole dollar offered. The same series was happily selling ebooks, so it wasn't the quality or the following that was the problem, just that those followers wouldn't use Patreon.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

If Patreon doesn't work, are there any real alternatives? The venerable Paypal tip jar is so established that it is hardwired into many writing sites, but the fees are significant.

6. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

We're trying out a Shifty Button on the sidebar of the main site to take altcoin tips, but there's still going to be a transaction fee with those.

7. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

For altcoins there's the Shapeshift button from shapeshift.io.