Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know the name of a folded-paper thingy (school days)?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Lily, February 14, 2021.

1. Lily

Lily New Member

Hi, I hope someone can help! Knowing the name of this thing is relevant to my WIP as my main character makes one of these with her friends. I've been wracking my brain trying to remember the name of it but have so far drawn a blank. It was very common to make these throughout primary school and the first few years of secondary, but for the life of me I can't recall the word we used for it.

It was a kind of fortune-telling game, made of a sheet of paper, folded several times. Each of the four outer corners would be numbered 1-4. You would pick a number and then opening the paper further would reveal more sections, either numbered again or labelled with different colours (my memory is a bit hazy on this part). You would pick one option and continue opening the folded sections until you reached the end, for the answer to your question.

I wasn't able to explain it very well but does this sound familiar at all?

2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

It sounds very familiar indeed, and given half a chance I could probably construct one again.

As to what it is called....I'll have to leave that to someone else

Lily likes this.
  3. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

Oh, I remember them! We put all the boys' namesE:kissingheart: on to see who we should dateE:flushed:. I think they were called Fortunetellers or Truthtellers?

Lily likes this.
  4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

This may be too dated for your story, but we called them Chatterboxes when I was at school. I seem to remember another name to do with foxes, but I cannot quite put my finger on it. When is your story set?

Lily likes this.
  5. Lily

Lily New Member

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I've also been asking family and friends but they couldn't remember the word for it either.

Yep, we used to put boys' names on them as well ::lol:::D Also recall making some joke ones which had messages like 'You smell' E:sweatsmile:

I'm from the Southeast and this thread has got me wondering whether there might be regional variations, as Chatterbox does sound familiar, now that you mention it, Reader. The 'foxes' name is intriguing. I hope you manage to recall that one.

My protagonist is 12-13 years old over the course of the novel (my first attempt at a story without any fantasy/supernatural elements!) and is set in 1992, so I think it would fit for that time period. I wonder if children still make them nowadays though?!

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Site Sponsors