Quantcast

Are Bookangel Hipsters?

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by skye, 5 Jun 2018.

1. skye

skye Member

We were talking about Hipsters and indie arts at the cafe. I have to ask, are we hipsters? I would guess that most of us wear glasses and we read a lot and some of us are technical luddites, so...well...are we?

2. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I am not sure my muddy wellies are the in-thing for hipsters.

3. porridge

porridge Member

Think ya stop qualifying for hipster once you get your council bus pass.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Well I do wear sunglasses after dark, but I don't think the white cane is a hipster's chosen accessory. On the other hand you get my retro technology away from me when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers.

5. Flash Harry

Flash Harry New Member

That's not retro, it's vintage.

6. Terry

Terry Member

I like my coffee like my gratification threshold: cheap and instant.

Indy books I like, but the hipster version would expected them to be artisan indy books, you know hand scribed using exotic inks on papyrus.

7. skye

skye Member

I heard that in Arthur's Daily's voice. Now I am worried.

It's the image of a coat opening to reveal a library of kindles on the inside unfolding tardis-like and the sleeve pulling up to show USB bands labelled with book names instead of watches.

8. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis New Member

Not me. Too geeky!

9. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I suspect I have aged out. After all, it is hardly retro technology when I bought it the first time round.

10. Jackie

Jackie Member

I don't think so. I rarely find myself thinking, "I liked that before it was cool," which I believe is the hipster mantra. I don't wear glasses or drink coffee (or tea). All that being said, I would kill to have a phone with T9. I absolutely hate touchscreen keypads. I'm all thumbs.

11. jessica

jessica Active Member

I don't know::unsure::. I mean we read books before they are popular, concentrate on indie works, and I'm sure some of us wear retro fashions::suss::.

12. Lynda

Lynda New Member

13. Zelda

Zelda New Member

Since "hipster" can be a bit subjective, I had to turn to Google for a standard definition: "A person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream." I think we'd classify as hipsters for sure since indie authors are typically outside of the cultural mainstream. I wish I was one of those people who wore retro fashions and looked adorable in them, but, alas, I'm sadly just not one of those people.

14. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Does this mean I now have to worry about stealth Hipsters to go along with the Skrull invasion?

15. jessica

jessica Active Member

Niche.com says hipsters are people aged between 23 and 45, so some of our older members might be outside that;). And, um, I'm not. Oh dear:oops: