Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Author AMA

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Books Bits 'n Bobs, 31 Jul 2017.

1. Would it be possible to add a feature where Indie authors could log on for an ask me anything session? It could be a fun way to interact with authors not represented by the big publishers. And, it wouldn't add to the burden on the reviewers here.

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

Sounds great! Do we have enough people to ask questions::unsure::?

3. Demi

Demi Member

I agree with Books Bits 'n Bobs, it' be a great idea to have a feature asking indie authors questions. It's harder to connect with indie authors and learn things about them and their writing compared to a traditionally published author.

4. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

There are two vital questions here. First, whether I.T. think this would be possible, and how much work it would take, and second whether enough indie authors would be interested to make it worth the time to build. AMAs may reach some readers, but they do take writers away from writing.

5. Ah, I see. And there is enough going on with the book contest to honor Stephen and the magazine launch. Fair enough. I believe I'll pass it on to my library group then.

6. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

This does sound like a neat idea. I agree that it can take away from writing time, but indie authors especially have to market themselves. Who better to market to than readers, though?

Of course, the points Tregaron makes are also valid.

Books Bits 'n Bobs, my library has done chat sessions with local authors through Twitter. Participants send in questions the week before, and they talk for about an hour.

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  7. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

We tend to avoid too much interaction with authors, due to the issue of 'authors behaving badly'. It leaves us free to give honest reviews, rather than worry about offending an author or supporter. Pseudonimity protects our reviewers from the issue of authors on the doorstep and other harrassment. I would be very concerned about the safety of our reviewers if we did an AMA with a popular author who then mentioned a name to one of the problem cases.

8. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

It was a disaster when we did this as one of our activities. Everyone loved the book, but what got we got from it wasn't what the author intended. Of course, this AMA was in person with a temperamental author who lived thirty minutes away from us which probably compounded the problem. Jordan's idea sounds like a good one.

9. That's a valid point to0. It's good of you to put their safety first! I honestly hadn't thought of all the ways an AMA could wrong when I made the suggestion. But, I can see how others would claim bias if you gave an author a favorable review after they did an AMA here. Even though it wouldn't be true, the reviewers don't need their integrity questioned. And of course, no one wants to see a psycho standing at their door either.

Thanks for your suggestion, Jordan! Twitter handles would provide the same pseudonymity that Bookangel mentioned. I'm going to give it a go.