Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Blogs and Privacy

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by PuzzleRaven, April 24, 2020.

1. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

I wanted to set up a blog for my fanfic for an alt world. I was using Livejournal and a public wifi, but I can't get to it during the lockdown.

It's as if every blog now gets name, address, fingerprints, browsers...Can I blog without revealing my ID? It's pretty impossible.

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

Why worry? There's so much data they can't track you

3. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Bull-bits. There's enough processing power to crack it.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

pen.io was about it, but I don't know if they are still running.

5. skye

skye Member

You can set blogs to private, on things like blogger. No one sees it unless you give permission or a password.

6. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

If I read correctly, Puzzleraven isn't protecting his content, he's trying to protect his ID.

7. PuzzleRaven

PuzzleRaven Member

Correct. Work would be unhappy if I wrote fanfic.

8. jessica

jessica Active Member

Ah. Problem. I guess they need to know for liability?

9. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Use a VPN, or VPN, tor, VPN?

10. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

If they're paid VPNs, it creates a trail. The major blogs don't harvest data for legal, they do it to sell it. Anyone else have the joy of Google trying to link their work and home IDs?

11. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

@tirial , that's what VMware's for?

12. tirial

And your MAC address?

13. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Detachable modem alt.

14. tirial

Holy- Ok, you are more serious about privacy than me.

Back to blogs, and this is just my opinion.

Livejournal is not private. You have to agree to share your details with google during sign up.

Dreamwidth is private to an extent but requires the use of a VPN, who of course have your home IP address and log what you do through them.

Insanejournal - looks private if you get a free account, but good luck getting an invite. There's no way to pay for an account that does not expose real name and address thanks to Paypal's policy change, and no way to request an invite from the admins like AO3.

https://www.my-diary.org/faq/ actually looks pretty private as long as you block ads, since they use adsense.

Blogger - hahha hah ha - are you f-ing kidding me? It's owned by Google, nuff said.

Wordpress - Tracks everything, stores it forever, and while I don't know I suspect they will roll over and stick their paws in the air while barking out your data to anyone who queries the database, warrant not required - at least judging by the number of hack attempts wordfence stops on my various installs. (WP security holes are why Bookangel has the two stage system it does.)

15. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Bookangel doesn't track, so you could post here. We don't have blogs, but we do have Scribblings.

16. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Well technically, we do track some things, but we don't try to put it all together, link accounts, send info to google AFAIK.

Anyway, I can have a look to see if we can incorporate blogs. I know vBulletin has something similar.

17. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Please look into this. It could be useful for more than this.

18. CatInASuit

Ok - taking a look at it now, may have something shortly.

19. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

That looks good. How can we all see or write then?

20. CatInASuit

Hold on, let me fix the permissions. I'll set up a group. Anyone interested in Beta testing?

Site Sponsors