Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Board Upgrade to Xenforo 2.2?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by tirial, September 27, 2020.

1. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

I've mentioned this to a few people off the board, but this really does need general discussion. Xenforo 1.5 is now out of support, and most of the add-ons are also out.

We could upgrade to 2.2 but this will cost:
    - we'd need a licence,
    - we'd need to repurchase all the add-ons,
    - some would not work (e.g. the Librarian)
    - we'd need to rework with members integration with the main site.
    - and we'd need to transition all the content

On the other hand if we don't, Xenforo 1.5 will stop working when our server stops supporting php 5.6, and migrates to php 7, so it is a concern. It isn't an immediate concern, but it will become one.

2. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::geek::Does 2.2 improve anything? ::coffee::

3. tirial

(Add to upgrade: Manually reinstall every smilie on the board. Gah!)

A massive range of upgrades become available, but they cost money. I think we lose the Librarian, she's not supported, but features for the writing competitions and Scribblings board are better. Seriously, this is the tech Red Queen's race: keep upgrading just so you can keep doing what you were already doing.

4. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

The only good news is that Xenforo 1.5 looks like it will run on some versions of PHP7, but things do get unsupported quickly these days.

Yeah, the list of things to figure out is not small.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

What is the effect on the XenPorta add-on we discussed in February?

6. tirial

If we buy XenPorta for the current version, it won't work with 2.2 and vice versa.

For anyone who missed the discussion, Xenporta lets us convert threads into articles for better integration with the main site, like News and Reviews and create a magazine style front page for the boards. It would massively improve the member's sign-in page.

The other option we do have would be to get the Gallery addon, which allows members to have sections for their own videos/images/etc, which could replace the PHP Melody site we were doing.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

It would be a real shame to see the Librarian disappear, I like the Stacks and how that works.

Are there any other add-ons that could replace what you already have. I guess the same question goes for all the other add-ons that aren't available?

8. tirial

Ok, I've done a price list and the upgrade I worked out at around $300, assuming we don't get the gallery. CIAS has a full breakdown. I think he also found a replacement for the Librarian.

While we can't get identical ones, there are alternatives for most.
    $160.00 - Xenforo 2.2 licence
    $65.00 - Gallery (?)
    $35.00 - xfaddons (replaces several addons like amazon affiliates - and improves them)
    $40.00 - Threadmarks Pro
    $50.00 - Replacement Credits/shop system.
    --
    $285.00 + 65 for Gallery.

We'll do the IT side for free, as always, but you'll need to pay for the components.

9. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I note that does not include XenPorta. How much would that be?

10. tirial

XenPorta is new functionality. I think we'd rather do the upgrade first before adding it. The other thing is if you want a new theme for the board. I'll be honest, since we added the dark theme, I haven't used the default one.

ETA: Xenporta was $40.00 last time I checked.

11. CatInASuit

Unfortunately no, the replacement is for threads only and not for posts. |I'll keep looking to see what I can find, but currently I have not found anything.

12. skye

skye Member

Thank you for creating this, and the demo you showed me but there is a problem. I cannot read the admin pages. The blue on blue makes it very difficult.

13. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Not sure whuy anyone sticks with Xenforo, its got issues with crapshoot support. PhpBB and SMF are free, VBulletin's comparable to Xenforo and has better support, and IPB is a fully integrated community suite. Hell, swap IPB in and you could chuck WP as well.

14. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

That is a sizeable outlay, I have to say, even though the prices are in dollars. Do we have to buy everything all at once, or could we stagger the purchase? Raising funds would be difficult, given our current situation. I am reading a great deal while sheltering in place (our government's most charming term for house arrest), but reviewing very little because I have not been in the mood. However, I am willing to open sponsored review slots to raise funds towards this.

I have also been looking at the demo, and have to ask whether the admin screen can be made more readable. Half the options have vanished off the bottom of the screen, and that was before I opened any of them, and I could not see the text on the main buttons at all.

Last edited by a moderator: October 1, 2020
  15. tirial

If IPB is Invision Boards, we worked out the costs for them at $625 for the basics, there's no confirmation they support video, and most importantly we've never used it, so support would be very patchy. It is lovely software, but on the shoestring we're working with...?

It also won't support the mailing list, and finding something that can be reworked to managed ten thousand daily emails without breaking wasn't easy the first time - some of the older users might remember what Aweber and Mailchimp tried to charge.

We might have a way to cut $100 off the update. We'll let you know what we find out.

16. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

I opened a Xenforo ticket to ask when I saw @skye's comment, but having seen the issue, I would say it is a showstopper. Losing half our admin staff because the software doesn't work for them isn't acceptable.

Is there a gallery option for Xenforo 1.5? Could we not simply use that, and Xenporta without the upgrade?

17. CatInASuit

Ok, so there is a Xenforo Gallery for XF1,5 which was being supported only a few months ago. It also has a video plugin as well, so it might even work for the current media section we have. It's $40, so a little cheaper.
    Xenporta is $40 as well, for XF1.5, but it's not available for XF2.2 as far as I can see.

XF2.2 has a big change under the hood and I need to go check if the plugins we found actually work with it, or if they will need updating alongside and we would be forced to wait a little longer.

While I don't have the same problem with the admin pages, I'm not volunteering to do all the admin work.

18. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If the plugins aren't going to work in the new version is it really worth upgrading. VB 3.8 stayed around for ages because it did what everyone wanted and no-one wanted up change.

19. Meandering

Meandering New Member

I didn't know there was a dark theme. How do I use it?

20. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

::unsure::I don't want to lose the Stacks:(, but I haven't used it in ages::unsure::.

Site Sponsors