Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Board Upgrade to Xenforo 2.2?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by tirial, September 27, 2020.

1. atry

atry Member

Go the the bar that the bottom where it says "Bookangel Casual" or "Casual" something like that. Tap it and you get options. Choose Chocolate. I think only Bookangel Casual and Chocolate work.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

It looks like it is picking up all our test styles as well. I'll see about fixing that (or ask CIAS).

I didn't know you were on a phone. Can I pick your brains on PM?

3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

On another note - It forced me to go and make sure the server is up to date. :)

4. tirial

Ok, we've looked at the Gallery and Xenporta updates.

The Gallery has some issues with privacy - google integration and face tagging - which we'll need to rip out if you want to remain cookie-free. It won't do for replacing the media section as it doesn't support Podcasts and MP3s, but it would give users a place to upload their own images for embedding without going to Imgur or similar, and we have the space. The negatives of this are the risk of someone uploading something dodgy to the site, or an image that violates terms of hosting. The cost is $40.

XenPorta does what we said it would - allows a magazine style front to the forums and threads to be displayed like articles for easier promotion. Again, it is $40.

Not changing the Xenforo to 2.2 also means we don;t need to rewrite all the front end integration work we were doing.

With themes, if you can find one you like, give us the link and we'll test and install it. If there's an upfront cost, you'll need to cover it though - work is slowing with the lockdown and we can't front as much as we'd like. Here's a list of some options: Styles [1.x]

Let me know what you think.

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

A place to upload images for posts would be something I personally should find extremely useful. I think that this would be worth the price, but only if it is possible to prevent abuse of it. Is there some way it could be restricted to users in good standing only, or to people the board would trust? If it should have to be made administrator-only, it would be of little use.

6. tirial

We can see whether the Gallery can be made accessibile only for members who have posted a certain number of times. Most spammers self-destruct before ten for example.

7. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

In that case, we'd like to go with Xenforo 1.5, XenPorta and XenGallery. If Reader does a set of sponsored reviews, that should raise sufficient funds to cover the cost. Reader, would that be agreeable?

8. CatInASuit

It looks like those are the best options - just need to go and find the links to everything again :up:

9. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Perfectly. I will do ten reviews for $10 each, then, payable through the site's Paypal. I am assuming costs are in dollars?

10. atry

atry Member

I like DarkTabbed. It works well on my phone. If I paid for it, could you add that?
    DarkTabbed

11. CatInASuit

Ok - It looks like the Gallery will be viable with a few tweaks. I'm hoping to find out the easiest way to sort it out.

I'll take a look at DarkTabbed and see what we can do...$25 for a theme. Oh well, if we are doing a full upgrade and it looks good, then we'll see :scheming:

12. CatInASuit

Ok - looking to install XenPorta, so there may be some oddness for the next 30 mins or so.

I'm hoping it doesn't break everything ;)

13. CatInASuit

Ok - looking to install XenPorta, so there may be some oddness for the next 30 mins or so.

I'm hoping it doesn't break everything ;)

14. CatInASuit

15. CatInASuit

Ok - Xenporta is in and running.

It's will need a lot of tweaking to give it the front end we need, but it's a step in the right direction.

16. tirial

I've looked at DarkTabbed and hit a few issues. I will work round them if I can. Meanwhile I have added a new theme called Defiance, which is another dark theme and works with XenPorta. Let me know what you think.

17. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

If you're upgrading things::geek::, what about the mood add-on I wanted last year?::geek:::baffled:

18. tirial

Ask nicely.:rolleyes:

19. porridge

porridge Member

Lass, ye dinnae ask fa more smiles on t'board. Ye dinnae...

20. Terry

Terry Member

How's the upgrade going, I keep seeing new things appearing and disappearing :)

Site Sponsors