Quantcast

Book folding?

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by jessica, 9 Jul 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

I saw this on etsy. It's making art by folding the pages of books back in the right pattern:cool:.

It looks pretty fun. I know it makes the books not readable:(, and folding pages is evil:eek: but if you weren't ever going to read a book again, would you try this? The results are really pretty!

2. Jackie

Jackie Member

Wow, those are really pretty! Although this one seems a little odd considering you're putting it on a book that you're clearly not going to read in the future. I might give this one a shot with a book I'd absolutely never read again. I'd probably try it with some outdated book at the library that they're getting rid of - it's cost-efficient and more than likely would be a book that others wouldn't pick up.

I think this one might be my favorite. For now.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I found a tutorial on youtube for it. Time to look out all those boxes of Reader's Digest condensed editions!

4. atry

atry Member

I don't know. I liked it up until the scissors came out. I might be persuaded to fold pages on a Reader's Digest or something, but I'm not going to cut them. That's just damaging the book.

5. Gemini

Gemini Member

I was totally into it right up until that. Folding a bunch of pages is one thing, cutting them is a whole different ballgame. It looks like there are some tutorials out there that don't require cutting, like this one here. It doesn't look as clean as the ones above but I guess that's to be expected.

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

:confused:I thought the books were folded, not cut:mad:?

7. tirial

8. jessica

jessica Active Member

Oh ::sick::. I guess they must have to do that for the flat areas:eek:. Meh.

9. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Oh dear! I'm not sure this would be for me after all. A shame, it looked so good.

10. tirial

I'm not sure you have to. I mean, if you folded the pages in sets of three or in a pattern you could get the flat bit in the middle. You just wouldn't get the sharp vertical cut-in because it would slant.

Fold one from the bottom corner up*
    The next fold in lengthways three quarters of the page in,
    The next in from the top corner down*
    The next fold in lengthways three quarters of the page in,

In each case the bit you leave unfolded at top or bottom would be the edge of the heart. Does someone with experience want to weigh in?

11. Terry

Terry Member

Some of those look really good, and if it was just folding I could think of several books that would be improved by it.

But cutting seems to be taking it just a little too far. I though the only reason for cutting up a book was to hide something in it, like small flask of whisky or a pistol (too many movies for me).

12. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

That's the best reason to cut up a book, @Terry.

I guess I'm alone in not really caring if I have to make cuts? You'd already be folding the pages in a way that would pretty much render the book unreadable. Obviously you wouldn't do this to a book that you want to read again or plan on donating, so why not?