Quantcast

Book suggestions for children

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Gemini, 21 Jun 2018.

1. Gemini

Gemini Member

My friend's daughter is turning ten next month and I'm still hunting around for a good present. She loves to read so I've been shopping around for a good book for her. A series would be preferable because she reads crazy fast! I was looking at the Magi Charter series by Jordan David because it sounded like such a fun, whimsical series. It's actually really great storywise, but the spelling and grammar errors are far too frequent. She loves fantasy, so if you know of any fantasy series for her age group (or a little more advanced), please let me know! If you know of one that isn't fantasy, I'm open to that too.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I'm not really sure because I don't read for that age group, sorry.

3. Zelda

Zelda Member

Have you checked out The Paper Magician Series by Charlie N. Holmberg? I've only read the first one and it was some time ago, but I don't recall there being any mature content or a lot of errors. It's fantasy but also a love story. I don't know if she would be into that sort of thing or not.

4. penumbra

penumbra Member

Now, I've never read this myself but my little cousin adores the first book in The Brimstone Chronicles series by Victor Rose. The sequel has yet to be released but it's supposed to be out sometime this year. Granted, my cousin is a few years older and his parents are pretty cool with letting him read things with mature elements, so it might be a little mature for her.

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I can think of two I've reviewed that she may enjoy.

The Heirs of Eshla has a group of teenagers from our world travelling through time to help rescue a fantasy world linked to ours after an evil overlord dropped the required McGuffins, apologies magic items, throughout our history.

The Piano Girl is more romance, but it is set in a fantasy kingdom. She may prefer the second book to the first which is less gritty and more focused on the politics and princes of the fairy tale. The first book is just the journey there.

6. Gemini

Gemini Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone.

The Brimstone Chronicles
    sounds interesting, but I would really prefer for there to be more than one book already just so I can get her a substantial enough present.

The Paper Magician
    sounds really interesting. From what I've read, it looks like the magic system is unique and well-done. As long as it's not a mature love story, I'm sure she'd be fine.

Both of your suggestions sound wonderful, @Reader! The Heirs of Eshla series sounds like it would be the perfect thing for her.

7. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Does she read ahead of or behind her age range? Most fantasy readers seem to read ahead.

If she enjoys historicals, Fever Quest has enough fantasy elements that she may like it.

8. Gemini

Gemini Member

I think that's accurate. She typically reads ahead of her age ranger.

Thank you! The review sounds very promising. I don't know how much historical fantasy she reads but it's always good to try new things. Honestly, I want to read that one for myself.

9. jessica

jessica Active Member

The Nyssa Glass book was really good. :up: