Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Captain America Civil War - for real!

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by tirial, 3 May 2016.

1. tirial

tirial Member

Yes, I saw it at the weekend. Yes, there may be spoilers in the thread, but I won't put any in the first post.

Ant-man, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, and entire supporting cast are fantastic. Major, major props to Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) who carries her rather critical part superbly.

Several plot issues which irritated me, but then one character being an utter hypocrite and another far too easily-led (and the least secure bunker ever - you couldn't have got into some of the places I've worked with the tricks used, and I'm only talking mid-level business here) aren;t reasons to ignore some great action scenes.

Spider-man? Great intro and I want to see more.

The Hulk & Thor? Not missed. They wouldn't have brought anything to the film, although trying to get Banner to sign these accords would have been funny and pointless, and Thor would have raised a diplomatic incident.

Overall? Damn good film*

(*For IT fans? It suffers from the Quantum of Solace problem: Villain's plot relies on tech team failing to spend $50 at Maplin.)

2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

You missed Reader gleefully picking plot holes. I think she enjoyed that more than the film.

3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Also saw at the weekend - thoroughly enjoyed it and I wasn't watching out for the plot holes.

Very happy with the way they treated all the cameos, as in having a reason to be there and doing something constructive as part of the plot.

4. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Do you include Stan Lee's cameo in that statement?

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Nice to see it steamroller the abomination known only as BvsS.

Pretty good film, managing to have a complete story in it and still keep the franchise going. Although it was a bit of a reset button at the end. You just now that when the next films turn up requiring Cap to be around...he'll be there.

I was surprised that no-one major was killed off, buit I guess they will leave that for the Infinity War films, where the stakes are going to be a lot higher.

6. clair02

clair02 Member

So I'm not the only one who enjoys being on the lookout for plot holes. On the whole, it's a really nice film and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah, I love looking out for them, but also looking out for how different to the comics they are, or even if they just make sense.

Just waiting for DC to realise that not everything has to be super gritty, and dark.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

Pardon me for replying to this old thread. I just want to toss in my remarks about the movie> Perhaps I'm already too old for fantasy movies that's why I keep on asking myself how Captain America as a human could do those stunts without the help of super powers. The other characters with super powers like Iron Man are okay with me since there is logic in there. What comes out of logis is the strength and agility of Captain America as a human being that is very athletic. I don't think that is possible to jump that high huh. Anyway, sorry for this spoiler remark, just being honest with my opinion.

9. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

You're kidding right. You did actually watch the movie - you know - when he gets turned into a 'roid rage machine by the Good Ol' US of A using Super Serum. He is about as human as Spiderman, two perfectly normal people who have something extra-ordinary happen to them.

Also Iron Man aka Tony Stark has absolutely no superpowers, other than intellect and a huge wad of cash.

So Cap is a fully trained Soldier, knows a very wide range of marital arts, who has been juiced up with enhanced physical prowess and who doesn't tire.

I'd go watch the movie again if I were you.