Quantcast

Cross-Pollination

Discussion in 'Scribblings' started by C. Lee McKenzie, 21 Sep 2018.

1. I've just written The End to a manuscript and sent it off to my critique group. What that means for me is downtime--at least on the fiction front. So while I'm in the waiting room, I started writing what I hope will be a series called Cross-Pollination.

The first article appeared in ALLI this month and was about how writers might take a look at the famous photographer, Annie Leibovitz for inspiration in their fiction. Here's how it starts:

We learn a lot about writing from other writers, but sometimes it’s refreshing to learn from people in other fields.

I recently stumbled on a website featuring Annie Leibovitz, the amazing photographer. She’s teaching online photography classes, and when I watched her video, I was struck by how much of her technique and philosophy I could translate into writing.

If you take a look, let me know your thoughts. I'm already working on other articles with this theme.

CatInASuit likes this.
  2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Sounded interesting, so I took a look at the piece.

Nicely written, with lots of good ideas and understanding in, and I can see where the parallels are drawn well together and how one can learn from sources other than your own.

I have seen it done a lot in sports of all places, where good ideas and understanding can improve performance, no matter where it comes from and it's interesting to see this in a literary perspective.

Excellent piece and thanks for mentioning it.