Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The sub forums have all been merged into Time for Tea. Hugs and Good News remain seperate and may be removed rather than merged due to confidentiality concerns.
    Dismiss Notice

Darwinism Candidates

Discussion in 'Time for Tea' started by Terry, May 31, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Member

I've read several cases of Darwinism and today finally encountered my own near Darwinism candidate.

Waiting on the platform, I suddenly realised there were a small group of people standing around with one person stood between the guiding yellow line and the edge of the platform, He promptly bent over to pick something out of a bag sticking a large part of themselves over the edge, while a train was coming into stop. It was far enough over the edge that the driver sounded the horn several times and he suddenly jerked back, out of the way, to safety.

After we all got on board. we heard the driver over the intercom casually mention that if you decide to try and take on a train, you will lose, and lose badly. The yellow line is there for a reason and the driver suggested considering it.

The stupid part was that the person who it had been aimed at was completely oblivious it was aimed at them until his friends pointed it out to him just how close he had come to trying to stop a train with his backside.

I'm amazed he has lasted so long.

2. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Oh my goodness! I have never witnessed anything close to that.

3. Terry

Terry Member

Not the worst I have seen.

Was at the same station one weekend, minding my own business with a train due in a minute or two, when I heard a scream from the end of the platform. There was a mother grasping after a pram that had rolled out of her reach and onto the tracks.

She was in a complete panic, though fortunately she was holding the baby at the time, as thirty seconds later the train arrives and does what several hundred tons of metal will do to a small pram.

It didn't even notice it. If the baby had been inside, it wouldn't have stood a chance.

Sent shivers down my spine somewhat proper.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Terry, you seem to have seen some really bad things at stations. Here's a funnier one: It was Derby Day. Most people had started drinking before they got on the train. My train was late, and I saw a commotion further down the train.

A lady in her full finery, clutching an plastic cup in one hand, the side of the door in the other, and demanding that the guard make the train kneel down so she could get on it. Yes, the train she already had one foot in. Never let it be said train guards don't have a sense of humour. The driver did something to make a whoosh of air, didn't change the height at all, and the guard very quickly told her that was the train 'kneeling'. All was right with the world and off she tottered.

(Darwinism, because this was the first train in an hour, and a public lynching was a possibility. CIAS said I should be glad it wasn't a commuter train!)

5. penumbra

penumbra Member

Oh my gosh. That sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it. Let's hope that she wouldn't have been so careless with it if the baby had been inside of it.

@tirial: That's hilarious! You gotta love it when people play along with crap like that.

6. porridge

porridge Member

Not exactly funny, great mix of karma and schaudenfreude: Rhino poachers eaten alive by lions after breaking in to reserve

Love this bit - "So far this year, poachers have killed nine rhinos in Eastern Cape reserves – all of them shot with a high-calibre hunting rifle. It is hoped the gang eaten by the lions was the one responsible."

7. penumbra

penumbra Member

^ That's Darwinism at its finest.

I just saw something on Buzzfeed about this "In My Feelings" challenge where - from what I understand - you're supposed to step outside of your parked vehicle and dance to Drake's song. But kids are trying to do it while the car is moving...by jumping out of the driver's seat while the car is in motion. Of course, many have injured themselves this way (duh) but then there's a car in motion without someone in the driver's seat. That's a problem.

Site Sponsors