Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The sub forums have all been merged into Time for Tea. Hugs and Good News remain seperate and may be removed rather than merged due to confidentiality concerns.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunking biscuits in Tea

Discussion in 'Time for Tea' started by Meandering, August 13, 2018.

1. Meandering

Meandering New Member

There's this large article on a site I read talking about dunking biscuits being wrong and crass and so on. Then I got distracted when half my digestive fell into my cup. Is dunking wrong?

2. porridge

porridge Member

If dunkin's wrong, ah don' wanna be right!

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

If I'm at someone else's house using their mug I probably won't, because if the biscuit snaps thats a mess for them to clean up.

My house, my rules? I'm dunking!

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I would only vary the rules slightly, by taking my cues from the host. For example, when taking tea with the Queen it would only be good manners to wait for her to dunk first.

5. athersgeo

athersgeo New Member

The very first time I met my friend's kids, her eldest very earnestly informed me on the correct procedure for dunking biscuits in tea. I was very, super polite and didn't inform J that I'd figured the correct procedure out for myself a good many years earlier. His mother was not quite so polite and spent the next ten minutes giggling at the idea of her 10yo son instructing me in the art of biscuit dunking!

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

The question is not whether you should dunk biscuits, it's which biscuits should you dunk.

Ginger Nuts and Hobnobs are a definite, Bourbons are a maybe and Custard Creams are right out.

Anyone else got a favourite biscuit for dunking?

7. Terry

Terry Member

Digestives - it's the only way to go .

8. Zelda

Zelda Member

The etiquette sites I've been on have all voted against it. I think if you're in a casual enough setting then it's perfectly fine. Like some of the rest of you have said, I'd probably take my cues from others around me if I was somewhere else, especially at a friend's house.

9. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I am not a great tea biscuit person and I'm not really fond of other people doing it. Why would you ruin a perfectly good cup of tea by sticking a biscuit into it.

And most people are constantly tapping their biscuit against the side of the cup to remove excess liquid and then leave a horrible sludge at the bottom. You wouldn't spend your time tapping with a spoon, so stop doing it with a biscuit.

This is like the argument about whether you should use a slice of bread to wipe up gravy off a plate after you finish.

10. penumbra

penumbra Member

I like dipping biscuits in tea but it's usually something I only do at my own home. People tend to have pretty strong opinions about this (and really, any time you use food as a means to eat other food/drink), so I typically avoid it when I'm out in public or around someone that I'm trying to impress.

Site Sponsors