Quantcast

Eating from other people's plates

Discussion in 'Day to day etiquette issues' started by Terry, 12 May 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Member

It's something that I keep winding up in a discussion over, if/when is it acceptable to eat from someone else's plate? I don't know of any hard and fast rule, but where I am, the slightest offer is usually enough for people to start digging in.

But what if food is about to be wasted? Is it ok to ask if you can have it then, before it is thrown away. I don't see any problem with it, waste not, want not, after all, but some people still get slightly uptight about it?

Am I doing something wrong?

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

That's, that's gross. I mean something like a packet of chips or some crisps I can understand sharing, but a general plate of food?

Outright asking for someone's food if they are going to bin it, I'd say you're doing something wrong. It's their food, they can do what they want with it, even if you disagree with what they are doing.

Sure, I guess you could ask politely, food waste is getting to be one of those cultural zeitgeisty things, but I've seen that only applied by people to other people and never about their own stuff.

Of course, I'm saying this from a point of someone who always clears their plate, so it's never an issue for me. But if I did, I'd probably be annoyed if I was chucking something and someone chimed in asking for it. If I'm chucking it, it's probably for a good reason.

3. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I have to say, I think eating directly from someone else's plate is rather rude, especially if you don't have their permission and they haven't finished. It is even worse if you are doing the boarding house reach across the table repeatedly, placing others at risk of flying condiments with each move. If you want more food, you should have ordered it.

4. Terry

Terry Member

Ok, I'd never eat from someone's plate without their permission, I'm not that obnoxious.

What about shared platters or tapas though, that's a time when you're eating from the same dishes?

Me, I'll offer them around and see if anyone is interested and if no-one is, then I claim dibs on it.

Anyone else?

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If I'm in a group for Tapas, I'll try to make sure everyone gets a taste of something and if we are ordering dishes try to make sure we get a couple everyone will eat. When they turn up take a small little bit of everything and leave plenty for others.

But I'm not going to start finishing them off until everyone has had enough.

6. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

While I really would not consider eating from someone else's plate and to be honest I probably would not even ask, I do enjoy Tapas as a social event.

The chance to sample a variety of things and not be pressured into eating more than you want, while observing pleasantries is normally a lot of fun.

7. porridge

porridge Member

Me forks move a bit fast for eating off mah plate to be safe.

8. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I don't believe a fork to the hand falls under the title "acceptable etiquette"

9. atry

atry Member

No, but it might fall under learning experience!

Pattycake likes this.