Quantcast

Fanfic abbreviations?

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by jessica, 30 May 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

Okay, so there are a lot of abbreviations for online fiction and fanfic, and I was chatting with a friend used a couple and he didn't know them. In return, he gave me a few new ones. So what acronyms and abbrevs do you know?

AU - Author's Universe.
    OC - Original Character
    SI - Self Insert
    ROB - Random Omnipotent Being (usually responsible for SI)

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

OP - Original Post/Poster or OverPowered

This one always threw me, especially for forum based fan fics.

3. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 New Member

I thought AU was Alternate Universe, usually predicated on some change to a particular point of known canon (i.e., Sirius Black survives the seri; Padmé surviving Episode III, etc).

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Britpick - getting someone from Britain to review a book set there but written by a foreign author. Something more indies and commercial authors would be wise to do. (British Police on the beat are not armed.)

5. Gemini

Gemini New Member

That's what I thought AU was as well.

@Kindler, how would someone use OP as OverPowered? What would that mean?

@Reader, I hadn't heard of that one before but that's brilliant. More authors really do need to do that! Are there similar terms for other countries?

AR - Alternate Reality
    RPF - Real Person Fiction

6. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Canon - The original work the writer bases their work on.
    Fanon - Ideas established in fan spin-offs that fill in gaps not covered by or directly contradicted by canon (e.g. two characters being distantly related) that are accepted as canon by most of the fans.
    Head canon - an author's personal canon or beliefs, usually stated in an author's note at the start of the fic.

7. jessica

jessica Active Member

I was sure that was Author's Universe:(. Think I got mixed up with headcannon.:(

That one I know:D! I think it came across from gaming, but things like Mr. Black (Terminal Justice?) count::coffee::. It's characters whose stated power level:cool: make them too powerful for the setting in crossovers. It can be really fun to read an effective God trying to put things right when they don't know the background:D::rofl::.

8. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Head Cannon. ::unsure::

Is that a thing?

9. skye

skye Member

Possibly off topic, I know, but I thought that was what normal fanfiction was about. Where makes an 'AU' different from just being fanfiction?

10. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Shared Universe - one fanfic universe where multiple authors write stories for it, e.g. RainbowDoubleDash's Lunaverse. Often has a distinct feel compared to the original, as rather than just one item being changed, there have been knock-on effects. It often has its own canon, controlled by the original author or writing group.

11. porridge

porridge Member

Sounds messy ::devil::

12. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

@jessica pretty much nailed it. When a character or device is so over powered it can effectively bring the story to a halt every time they/it do something. It's not even a deus ex, as it's sat there in the middle of the story waiting to go off when the author needs it,.

See also Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

13. Gemini

Gemini New Member

@jessica and @Kindler, thanks for clearing that up! I've got it now. That doesn't sound like it makes for great storytelling, in my opinion, but I'm sure that there are some exceptions.

14. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If done well, it can be great fun. Unfortunately it is rarely done well.

I've just realised I don't know of any abbreviates that would be used to denote genre other the SF or Rom which are pretty obvious.

Any good genre abs. we ought to know about?

15. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 New Member

A/A (Action/Adventure)

Why does this seem to be such a common theme? Great ideas that are almost universally poorly executed.