Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Fiction Vs Non-fiction

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Meryl, 26 Apr 2017.

1. Meryl

Meryl Member

I was just wondering which of the two would be more difficult to learn if someone wanted to become a writer. Is one harder to do than the other or is it essentially the same thing? If you had to write a book, which would you choose and why?

Laibrown likes this.
  2. Miranda

Miranda Member

Many people say it's easier to write non-fiction than it is to write fiction. Personally, I think that fiction is incredibly hard to write and I believe that it's easier for beginner authors to start off in non-fiction.

3. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

I am not sure one is much easier than the other, as a badly written non fiction book is as painful to peruse as its fiction equivalent. Both need the correct structure, approach and so on.

4. Laibrown

Laibrown New Member

In my opinion, I don't think one is easier to write than the other. Actually they both basically requires both amount of effort, the only difference is that they have different writing orientation. Although I am of the opinion that a first time writer can do better in fiction than non-fiction, but this position of mine could as a result of my keen interest in fiction. But yet that doesn't makes it easier to a nonfiction.

5. Julia

Julia Member

I enjoy reading nonfiction but when I write it is always fiction. There is no end to the imagination and mine is deep! I find it easier to make the story up instead of sticking to facts. I guess to people that like sticking to facts and doing research nonfiction would be easier to write. I think it's different for everyone.

6. Demi

Demi Member

I think it really depends on the person. I personally think that writing fiction is way easier than non fiction, because you get to create your own world and characters.

7. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I completely agree! With fiction the author has to create characters, a plot, scenery, conflict, and everything else. It's starting from scratch and requires a great day of creativity. But with non-fiction, you can just write what you already know due to education or experience.

8. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I agree that it depends on the person. So far we've all given different responses and reasons for those responses!

I read both fiction and non-fiction and have attempted to write both. I've found that fiction is easier for me. No matter which type I've written, I've found some research is usually necessary.

9. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Non-fiction may be easy to write, but it can be hard to write well. There are legal concerns about truth and accuracy is you are depicting "living persons" as the law puts it, and an author must ensure that their work or instructions are clear and easy to follow. An inaccuracy can result in an author being sued far more easily than fiction will.

10. I'm not a writer and don't find it easy at all. But between the two, fiction would be more difficult to write I think. It requires a higher level of creativity and imagination. The author has to dream up brand new worlds and characters and do it in a way that the reader feels they're right there with them.

11. Donna

Donna Member

I have never tried non fiction, only fiction. A friend of mine does only non-fiction and the amount of research she does is overwhelming. She spent 3 years on her last book. That's just too tedious for me.

12. Anna

Anna Member

I think it depends on what you enjoy writing and what kind of story you have to tell. If you have a personal story or an expertise in an area, then non-fiction may be a great route! If you're more into creative writing or like to stretch the truth, you can always easily turn those things into a work of fiction. I think it all comes down to your personal preferences and what kind of story you want to tell. If you enjoy doing something, then it's usually easier - or well, at least more enjoyable!

Personally, I would write fiction. I don't really feel like I've got a good enough story for a memoir (not yet at least!) nor the expertise to write a non-fiction book outside of that genre. Plus, the part I love most about writing is world-building.