Quantcast

First or Third Person

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by penumbra, 8 Jun 2018.

1. penumbra

penumbra New Member

Do you prefer reading books written in first or third person? Personally, I think it's easier to write in the third person and that makes for less room for error. I enjoy reading first person more because it's more intimate. However, I think that it's not always done well and isn't always appropriate. For instance, in historical fiction novels where a lot of attention is paid to how the character looks and is dressed, I think that it's too easy for the character to come across as narcissistic. Of course, there are some lovely historical fiction novels written in first person that are wonderful; I'm just speaking generally. What are your thoughts?

2. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 New Member

I far prefer reading third person. For me (and perhaps I'm just odd this way), I find that first person actually keeps me from entering the story fully, as I keep getting jarred out of it whenever another character addresses the narrator directly. Third person just seems to flow easier in my mind.

3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

For me it depends a lot on what type of story you are trying to tell. In general I prefer third person, because you can get a lot more out of it without it sounding like a lot of exposition and you don't find yourself having to deal with someone you cannot relate to which is always a problem when you are in first person

However, in any story which involves a lot of discovery or mystery and thriller, then I love first person novels and finding out what is going on with them.

4. Zelda

Zelda New Member

@Honeybee42, I find that first person can be jarring sometimes too. I find it very distracting when the narrator addresses the reader, unless it's in a journal/diary type format. It can be really annoying when it's done in past tense and the author frequently foreshadows things. Then there's also the problem that @Kindler mentioned, first person can easily lend itself to an unnecessary amount of exposition. Like you said, @penumbra, it can be done well in all genres and it really comes down to how the author writes.

5. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

Oh my gosh, yes, I completely agree. That's actually what's going on in the book I'm reading right now, Le Temps Viendra. I think this is primarily an issue when it comes to historical fiction about real-life people and you know how their story ends. The foreshadowing just feels redundant and takes you out of the story.

6. penumbra

penumbra New Member

While I don't usually have that problem, @Honeybee42, I've read some books where first person kept me from fully immersing myself in the story. Third person does flow really nicely. Like I said, I think it's easier to mess up with first person over third person.

One of the reasons I think it's easier in third person is because of something @Kindler said: You don't always relate to the viewpoint character and that can really make it tiresome. I also agree with you all that thrillers and mysteries are better in first person.

I don't particularly enjoy it when the fourth wall is broken either. It's fitting in some situations but usually, there's just no reason for it.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Fourth wall breaking is an art form in its own right. My favourite was the old Lovejoy TV series, where a little bit of camera aside from Ian McShane just set up the entire episode so well.

I'll be honest I don't think I have seen it work well in print. Comics for certain character most definitely, but in a novel, I hate in when it becomes the exposition dump for the reader instead of just giving hints as to what is going on.

I also find the same thing when a character starts talking to their pet, unless said pet distracts them half way through and ruins the moment. ::lol::

8. Jackie

Jackie Member

The breaking of the fourth wall is great in other kinds of works like movies, comics, etc. I think it's usually only done in novels for those information dumps. Information dumps are always trying to get through, whether they're breaking of the fourth wall or not.

That's what any normal pet would do! That's especially annoying when it's the only reason the pet seems to be around at all. The pet is always there when they need to unload but never around otherwise.

I think the worst I've seen recently has been in dialogue, but not to a pet. Just characters talking in paragraphs about things that both of them should already know about; it should only be new information to me, not them. So them talking about it ad nauseam just doesn't make any sense. Besides, who talks in paragraphs in casual conversation?

They can be problematic in first or third person but I find them a lot worse in first person. That's why I usually prefer third.

9. jessica

jessica Active Member

I'll take first or third done well fine, but second person drives me up the wall:mad:. It's like "You walk into a bar..." No I didn't, I'm sitting in my front room:rolleyes:!

So you think Lovejoy was the best fourth wall breaker? Really? You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.