Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Friendly Local Book Store

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Kindler, 9 May 2017.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

In this current age of Amazon and Book Store chains like Waterstones or Barnes and Noble, is there still a place for the local independent book store?

I know of a couple which always gave out good service and still had a surprisingly good range of books and I always try and buy something from one if I see it. I just think they should be supported as much as possible.

So do you have any close to you or do you buy from one?

2. Terry

Terry Member

I've known some interesting little independent book stores, they usually have more of an interesting range then the usual bunch. they also always seem to fit the personality of the owner as well to a degree. The oddest ones are still the ones on Charing Cross Road in Central London, but those are always fun to look around.

I don't have any close by to me any more just a Waterstones, although they are making the effort to be a little bit different from your average store.

Yes, I did use to buy from them as well, sometimes even books I didn't need if only to support them.

3. Miranda

Miranda Member

I live in a very small town and there is not even a single book store here. Makes me wish I had money to start a business so I could open one myself. I would so love that...

4. HattieMoon

HattieMoon Member

Two have opened near to me in the last year or so. One is everything you could want from an indie, open to all with a relaxing vibe, the other is more 'local' and a different animal altogether.

5. HighSparrow

HighSparrow New Member

I haven't had the time to go looking for books lately due to work and I have been reading more ebooks than physical books but I still miss the feel and the smell of books so I will be hunting for some new bookshops in my area soon.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

You can't even get the smell of of a good bookshop in a Library nowadays. They always seem to smell of plastic instead.

7. jessica

jessica Active Member

We had one open, then shut a year later. It is much missed:((.

8. Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak New Member

Just found a new offbeat popup anime store selling more manga. I'm hoping it will have a few things a little more off the beaten track than the usual collection from Forbidden Planet. Then again the local one, before it closed, had a really large and interesting selection. You just don't find shops like that any more.