Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Genres mainly found in Indie fiction

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Tregaron, 8 Jun 2017.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I had noticed that several genres appeared to have vanished off the shelves at my local bookshop, and the few examples that still existed were so homogenised as to be virtually identical. Which genres are thriving on the indie scene that have virtually disappeared in paperback? Are any of your favourites among them?

Books Bits 'n Bobs likes this.
  2. I've noticed two main genres. One is the standard romance novel that may or may not contain racy scenes. I think this genre sells well and that's why it has so many indie writers. The second is what I call the self-help/marketing combination that you see self-published on Amazon so often. I think those books are the easiest to create and that's why so many indie writers chose that genre.

What about you?

3. Demi

Demi Member

Romance is thriving at the moment. There are just so many subdivisions to romance and in my opinion romance will never be outdated. A lot of urban fantasy is also starting to pop up.

4. jessica

jessica Active Member

Yeah, but romance is huge in mainstream publishing as well. :p

5. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Romance has definitely been on an upswing for some time. I'm always surprised at the variety of were-animals out there.

I see a fair amount of science fiction in the indie market as well.

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

Come on, seriously:rolleyes:? Never heard of Mills and Boon:eek:? Romance isn't mainly found in indie fiction, is ito_O? There are shelves in every bookstore and supermarket! What about westerns? huge in indie sales, good luck finding a store with any:(.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I must be spoiled with a larger than average Waterstones which seems to have something of everything in.

Except maybe Westerns.

8. Demi

Demi Member

Sure, romance is big in traditional and mainstream publishing too, but it's also huge in indie publishing. I think that there's way more NA romance in indie publishing than traditional, though I think traditional publishing is starting to catch onto the trend.

9. Terry

Terry Member

The only romance I haven't seen much of in bookstores is the paranormal shifter type.

Not that I've been looking for it of course. :oops: