Quantcast

Getting screwed over for following the rules...

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by tirial, 11 May 2018.

1. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Just for once I would like to not get screwed over for following the rules and trying to do the right thing.

I went to the bank two weeks ago on the company's behalf because they have a new client, and spending and income patterns are going to change drastically (the idea that companies might get new long-term clients is baffling to banks...). They prefer advance notice of these things or there can be holdups.

This time I got someone who admitted he was new and didn't know what he was doing. We did the notification work. A few hours later I get a call saying they are going to close the account.

Despite the account still being open the next day, I arranged to go and speak to the bank to find out what was going on. Despite making an appointment I get another person who admits they don't understand the issue, refuses to discuss what is on file or what the situation actually is and has to keep leaving the room to make phonecalls or discuss it with her line manager who is familiar with the area but won't speak to me directly as the bank apparently feels an overwhelming need to play telephone/Chinese whispers.

Then I get a letter in the post last week stating that I made a complaint. Which is the first I had known of this.

Now apparently they've completed the complaint handling, but they haven't told me the results and I still don't know what I am supposed to have said in this complaint.

As you might have guessed, we are going to be moving banks very shortly. (The new account is already open).

It actually gets dafter than this, which is why I am up at 5:00am, banging my head on the desk.

2. atry

atry Member

I wish I couldn't believe this. I wish so very much I could not believe this. I most definitely wish you good luck in dealing with this colossal waste of time.

3. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

That is painful to read and, though I dread to ask, how exactly does it get dafter?

Perhaps if we all clap our hands several times and say "I do believe in competency", we may perhaps encounter some?

4. porridge

porridge Member

Could be worse. Could be with Barclays. Ceo just got fined 1.5M for hunting whistleblower. Still got his job somhow.

If we say "I don't believe in bankers", do they work like fairies?

5. tirial

Funny you should say that.

6. porridge

porridge Member

oh lass, I'm so sorry.

7. tirial

Don't be. A new account is now active with another bank, just in case they continue to be a nuisance. The Dafter issue is that this is down to Barclays' new rules on Bitcoin. It is not enough for us to not deal with or accept it: we have to prove our clients don't. We work with the charity sector: you know, the one where Barclays partners with Coinbase to offer Bitcoin merchant solutions to let non-profits accept Bitcoin...

It means we could not work with:
    • The Red Cross
    • Unicef
    • The RNLI
    and many many others. Many of whom bank with Barclays.

The hypocracy is incredible. :mad:

8. atry

atry Member

So my jaw has duly dropped. If they work with Coinbase, who work with Bitcoin, then by their own rules, should Barclays not be closing themselves down? Is this because of moneylaundering or something similar, because in that case are they deeming their own solution to be money-laundering, or does using their solution get your account with them closed because they know they are not checking for money-laundering, or is this just an extremely stupid application of bureaucracy?

What services are you providing? From knowing you, I can only assume it is not "We are money launders inc."

9. tirial

Banner design, web design, web hosting, the standard ones. All paid for in pounds as for any other company. I'm fairly certain that the crypto donations received by these charities are an absolutely tiny fraction of the fiat ones.

We haven't heard any more about closing the account, aside from a text message that my husband said stated that the investigation was complete, but failed to tell us what they had decided. We're probably going to move the account anyway - to the new bank that actually noted down that I have poor sight and can't read text messages.

10. Mine all mine

Mine all mine New Member

I'd heard bad stories about Barclays and Bitcoin, but that beats all. So if you do work for someone who uses a service Barclays partner provides, you get your account closed? Bloody stupid.

11. jessica

jessica Active Member

Barclays dissed the LIFEBOATS!?:eek::mad::eek: