Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Harlan Ellison has passed away

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Bookangel, June 29, 2018.

1. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Harlan Ellison, one of the sci-fi greats, passed away on 28th June 2018. He was known for many things, including "I have no Mouth and I must Scream" Star Trek and Babylon Five episodes and a very short period of employment with Disney. Most appropriately for indies, his Pay the Writer speech is a classic and something everyone should listen to at least once:

Jackie likes this.
  2. Jackie

Jackie Member

This is heartbreaking. RIP Harlan Ellison. At least he lived a full life and it sounds like he died from natural causes. I've always loved this speech. Thank you for reminding me of it.

3. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

He was magnificent. I have on my Kindle a version of his Star Trek "City on the Edge of Tomorrow" which is the script the way he wrote it, and an essay he wrote about the whole thing. He was right, what he wrote was far better than what was eventually filmed for the show. May he rest in peace.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

One of the last of the greats. My favourite short story of his was Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman, just because of the elements of subversion inside it - and the sheer hypocrisy of the ending.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

How did I miss this in the news? He will be much missed.

Site Sponsors