Quantcast

How would you reform the Lords?

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by Flash Harry, 16 Jul 2018.

1. Flash Harry

Flash Harry Member

'k so since you're chatting bout honours, what about the Lords. It bumbled along for many years until Blair switched to a more "representative system" a.k.a. lob the hereditary lot and stuff the place full of cronies and donors. Now we're being asked about more elections. How'd you fix it?

2. porridge

porridge Member

Stick it back to the hereditary lot. Dementia and all, they cost us less than the present set of scabs and wasters.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I'm not really in favour of elections, because of "pig-in-a-rosette" syndrome. (Yep, I moved from a swing seat to one where everyone bitches about the local elected officials but suggesting they vote for someone else is met with stunned horror since it means voting for a different party.) Maybe if there was some way to ban parties from taking part and make it so that individuals had to run on their own merits.

4. atry

atry Member

A jury system perhaps? It works for courts. Use the existing register and if you pay jurors what the Lords get in allowances, you can be certain they will show up.

5. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I don't think a title should come with the automatic right to sit in the Lords. If the Hereditary peers have to elect a number from among themselves, why shouldn't Life Peers do the same? Also since so many of these are grace-and-favour titles, could we not have Life Titles of any rank that do not carry the right to sit in the Lords?

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

So TINOs then;)? "Title in Name Only"? Oh that would solve a lot of problems:D.

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

But what government would give one out to its major donors? You know, the people who donate because they are buying political power?