Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Indie author accuses John Lewis of plagarism (2019 edition)

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Reader, November 16, 2019.

1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Author accuses John Lewis of ripping off HER dragon design for its Excitable Edgar Christmas advert | Daily Mail Online

Admittedly, it is the Mail, so bear that in mind, but it seems Danielle Smurthwaite, indie author of Popcorn the Unicorn, says the advert bears a close resemblance to the John Lewis advert.

I don't see the resemblance myself, but it is an interesting consideration. A couple of years ago John Lewis were accused of the same thing by the former Children's Laurete Chris Riddell over Moz the Monster and I don't know how that turned out.

On the other hand, having reached the holy grail of indie promotion with a mention in a national newspaper, she will probably sell a lot of books.

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

I don't knowo_O. I mean what I get from it is her main character is a unicorn, and the dragons are bit parts, and just about all the stories I learned growing up about learning to behave are pretty much exactly 'the character's own behaviour causes problems until they learn to behave better'::coffee::

'course I haven't read the book or seen the advert:p.

3. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I remember the Moz furore when it came out and it certainly seemed as they had been influenced by the material.

Having seen the advert this time round, I feel certain I can find several books all matching what has been placed there, not to mention that those will go back over a few decades as well.

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Watched the advert and only realised half way through that it was on silent and there is actually a soundtrack to go with it.

It's a good advert and the toy will sell thousands, so I'm not surprised someone wants a bit of publicity from it.

5. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF New Member

They both have green dragons?

Site Sponsors