Quantcast

Judging a book by its cover

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by PageTurner, 29 Jun 2018.

1. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

I know we're not supposed to judge a book by its cover but surely I'm not the only one who does, right? How big of an impact does the cover of a book have on you?

I'm more influenced by covers online than I am in a brick and mortar store. There, I'm most influenced by the title since that's all you can see of most of the books. Online, the cover gets equal attention. Additionally, there are just so many options online that I feel like it's okay for me to bypass books just because I'm not crazy about the cover.

When it comes to indie authors, I'm a lot more forgiving than I am of those who have professional artists working on their covers. Funky fonts, odd placements, colors that don't go together, etc. are mistakes that anyone could make. The only thing that just really strikes me as unprofessional is when you have a super bad Photoshop job where people were clearly cut away from a background (sloppily) and pasted on something else.

I'm very likely to bypass a book online, indie or not, if there's no effort put into the cover whatsoever.

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

I thought covers were supposed to give you an idea of what the book was about:D, so not judging a book by its cover means stopping the cover doing one of its jobs;).

3. Zelda

Zelda Member

^ That's exactly right. It's totally fair to judge a book by its cover. That saying has never made any sense to me.

I generally give indie authors a lot more leniency too, for the reasons you mentioned. However, these days it's not too difficult to create a pleasing cover as long as you don't mind putting in some work to find someone to do it for you. There are tons of sites with artists who are willing to help out for a decent price. I think it's worth forking over some money for since, as we've all said, covers are important.

4. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

@jessica, I think it's impossible for it not to make some kind of impact. You're right, that's its primary function. I'm just curious how big of an impact it has on people. For instance, if you don't like the cover are you likely to skip over it?