Quantcast

Literary Tour of England and (maybe) Scotland

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Zelda, 19 Jul 2018.

1. Zelda

Zelda Member

My husband and I are planning a big trip to England (and maybe Scotland) next year. We are both big fans of history and literature so we thought it would be fun to put together a literary tour. We haven't figured out where all we're going just yet, we're just trying to find a bunch of different places and see what we can do with our list.

We've been taking some inspiration from literary tours we've found, like this one, but most seem to hit the same handful of places. Austen, Shakespeare, Dickens, and Rowling feature prominently on most of these lists. I know there have to be places throughout England and Scotland associated with other authors and/or their works.

Since a lot of you are from the UK, I figured I'd ask you all and see if you knew of any fun literary sites we should visit.

2. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Well if you are looking for places of literature, or rather the books themselves, could I suggest either Charing Cross Road in London, or perhaps Hay-on-Wye where the large literary festival is held each year.

If you enjoy good murder mysteries, Colin Dexter with Inspector Morse in Oxford may be of interest. Not only are the books excellent, but the TV series that went with it was also outstanding and used many places in Oxford as backdrops.

3. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I would have considered the British Library compulsory. If you are lucky it will have one of its exhibitions on. Even if not, it is the depository of all books written and copyrighted in England, so very much the home of literature.

5. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

It's a little off the beaten track, but if the British Library doesn't keep you busy, the Cartoon Museum is just down the road from it. It's a small museum with a selection of cartoons and comics strips through the ages, including originals from artists ranging from Tenniel to Charles Schulz. The Cartoon Museum - Cartoon Museum

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

I did the Wells in Woking walk. The fighting machine is awesome:), the rest really wasn't anything to go for:(.

7. porridge

porridge Member

8. Post-Life Crisis

Post-Life Crisis New Member

Why have I never heard of this? It's right next door to where I worked. One London trip coming right up!

9. skye

skye Member

10. atry

atry Member

11. Zelda

Zelda Member

Both of those are great! I'll definitely add those to the list. I might just have to try and schedule our trip around the festival next year. It looks amazing.

I do enjoy a good murder mystery. I'm adding those to my must-read list right now. Thank you for the suggestions!

Pretty wild, right? I imagine it's a pretty popular tourist attraction, yeah? Especially since the show is so popular.

That one is already on my list! I'm keeping an eye out for 2019 exhibitions but I'm sure I'll have more than enough things to go through regardless. @tirial, I was unaware of the Cartoon Museum but it looks really cool. It's pretty hard to resist too since it's so close. I'm worried that once I get into the British Library I won't be able to leave, so I might have to check that out beforehand.

Sorry that the rest of it wasn't really worth the trek, but thanks for letting me know. I'll just check out the fighting machine and skip the rest.

Thanks! It looks awesome.

Poetry can be hit or miss for me, but I do enjoy Keats. Thanks!

Lists are a great resource - especially this one! Thank you so much for sharing it. The GOSH museum sounds phenomenal. I'm a big Peter Pan fan. I didn't see Ben Johnson's house on there. Am I just being spacy and missing it?

12. Cece

Cece New Member

Although it's not necessarily related to the books, the Warner Brothers Studio for Harry Potter is really cool.

Bram Stoker has ties to Whitby. Whitby Abbey is what inspired him to start writing Dracula and you can still visit the ruins today. There's a bench at the harbour where he's supposed to have started writing notes for Dracula.

13. atry

atry Member

Opps! I was being spacey and it's Samuel Johnson's house.

14. Meandering

Meandering New Member

For non-London, just visit Dorset. You're bound to fall over something about Thomas Hardy there:p!

15. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Now you sound like my English teacher: everyone from Wales must like Dylan Thomas, and everyone from Dorset must be a Thomas Hardy fan... Hint: we weren't.

16. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

If you have the time and it's not that far away, have you considered Dublin, for both a variety of authors and some great nightlife. There is a tour that combines both as well :scheming:

17. Zelda

Zelda Member

@atry, happens to me all the time!

@Meandering, I've got that on my evergrowing list.

@Kindler, I'd love to check out Dublin. I was thinking it might be better to save that for another trip. We've been considering doing Dublin instead of Scotland but we're still not sure. There's just too much over there. We want to do it all.