Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Merkel Getting Stood Up

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by djbook, 13 Sep 2016.

1. djbook

djbook Member

So, Angela Merkel has been facing criticism in her country for letting in numerous Syrian refugees. Her party recently lost elections in her home province which tells me that the people are really against her policies.

IMHO the will of the people should be done. I mean isn't that what democracy is for?

Of course, I am aware that there are no real democracies left in the world. Even the US is now an oligarchy with nepotism and corruption ruling the day. But, still, when the majority wants to keep refugees out of Germany, shouldn't the chancellor listen?

Kindler likes this.
  2. jessica

jessica Active Member

Do politicians ever listen? :mad: Isn't she the one whose party member said elections were inconvenient as the people were too uneducated to have a say?

3. clair02

clair02 Member

I guess you're right. She should have focused more on what her constituents were telling her. Now she has learnt a very valuable and unfortunate (for her) lesson.

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Democracy? - In Europe?? - They've been trying to stop that for ages in favour of the dictatoriat? (Is that even a word)

Her idea was an interesting one, kind, benevolent and understanding. The sort of thing you expect a generous person to do. But, oh boy did she misread the repercussions. Seriously, tell the refugee world that all of your fellow people will quite happily take you all in. Great in principle, real difficult in practice. Especially if you are not going to be directly affected by your own policy.

But overall, sometimes governments have to take unpopular decisions, and sometimes they even turn out to be right as well. I think the important thing is not that the decision is taken, because hell that's why they are there in the first place, but they need to answer for it afterwards.

5. djbook

djbook Member

Wow, I didn't know about that. Well, in that case, she got what she deserved!

Yes. Well, taking in refugees wasn't a bad idea. But, mismanaging and misreading how many people would show up was a bad idea. I mean she could have easily found a way to setup camps away from her people allowing external agencies to take care of the refugees while she found a solution. Instead, they had major incidents such as the one during New Year's eve that simply polarized people on the issue.

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

It's not just the German people who are suffering. Multiple groups, cultures, and religions, including the Yazadis, Muslims, and Christians are being thrown together in one mass in refugee camps, causing attacks when their different traditions come into conflict. Seriously, giving members of each group the same induction to their new home is going to miss the problem areas specific to each culture. :(