Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

"Modern" Penguin Classics

Discussion in 'Tea Room (Book Chat)' started by Terry, 8 Oct 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Member

So, in the UK we have Penguin Classics, those stories from several centuries ago that are out of copyright and were reprinted because the are classic works of literature that people should read.

So in a few hundred years time, what would those Classics be from today's stories.

I'll be honest, there is such a wide variety of stories I wouldn't know where to start, but anything that is part of a series I wouldn't include, it would have to be standalone.

So, any ideas?

Jordan likes this.
  2. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Fantastic question! I've read some great books lately, but I don't know if any of them could end up classics.

In my mind, a book that people keep going back to even though the pub date is long past could become a classic. In that instance, one that does pop up is The Kite Runner (2003). I haven't read it myself, but it's still in the foreground. In fact, when I looked it up to maybe finally read it, it's all checked out from my library.

natalie likes this.
  3. natalie

natalie Member

The Kite Runner is a good one. While I think books like Harry Potter will stick around for a long time, I don't know if they'd reach the "Penguin" level. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings might though (not really from today). I could also see The Handmaid's Tale too.

4. Anna

Anna Member

Awesome question! It's so hard to tell what will be considered a "classic". The Kite Runner is definitely up there, and probably his other books, too. I'm sure Margaret Atwood will have one, like Natalie said, not sure if it will be The Handmaid's Tale or not, but I do think that's probably her most popular. I've always been partial to Cat's Eye myself though. I feel like books about artists and writers usually make their way into the "classics" category but I can't think of any good ones off the top o fmy head.

5. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I could see The Handmaid's Tale becoming another classic. I feel like I read all things dystopia in high school: A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Brave New World and Lord of the Flies.

Anna likes this.