Quantcast

Myers-Briggs: What are you?

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by penumbra, 21 Jun 2018.

1. penumbra

penumbra Member

How many of you have taken the Myers-Briggs personality test? What's your personality type? If you've never taken it before, you can take it here. I've noticed that a lot of writers tend to be one of the Introverted types...I mean, it makes sense, right? I'm an ISTP myself. I can easily relate to a lot of the things they have to say about ISTPs. I think the results are typically spot on but I'd love to hear what you guys think.

2. Zelda

Zelda Member

Then you shouldn't be surprised that I'm an introvert, too. I'm like 98% Introverted, according to the test. I'm an ISFP. Apparently our types are supposed to be kindred spirits, so hey, girl. :) I relate to a lot of things they said about my type, more so the flaws than the positive qualities.

3. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

I am an INTJ I am so strongly introverted that some weakly expressed introverts seem like extraverts to me. In fact, at work we once had a training thing with trained people giving the tests and explaining things about it ... I was 100% introvert. The INTJ profile fits me quite well.

The training was an awful experience .. they assigned us seating and I was put almost dead center in the room with no straight path to the exit. Then they wanted us to go around and say our names and something about what we brought to the job. Instead of being able to complete that, I had a panic attack instead.

4. Jackie

Jackie Member

I'm an INTP. You're 3 for 3, @penumbra.

@Zelda, I'm the same way. I think sometimes it's easier to assess our flaws rather than our strengths, at least when it comes to looking for them in ourselves.

@Honeybee42, that's an interesting training technique but it sounds like a nightmare for an introvert! Were you put in the dead center solely because of your type or did they do the seat assignments beforehand? If it's the former, that's just awful. I have always hated those introductions. I know my name, so why do I always freeze? There were even times in college where I skipped the first day of classes just so I could avoid that.

5. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

The way it was set up, there were tables of six people, and all the tent cards were in place with each person's name on them, and you were supposed to find yours and sit there, and trading places was not allowed. The facilitators were the ones who set the names in places and they knew what my results were (so did I, even before I went there--I have *always* been that type every time I've taken it). The tables were set at sort of an angle, so there were no straight paths. It was quite awful.

I was able to return, and the idea was that we were supposed to learn about what types everyone else was and how people of different types think. They had one video that was supposed to be an I and an E having some sort of business meeting, and I was thinking that the extravert wasn't so much behaving as an extravert as just being plain rude. While they were supposed to be having a meeting, she got interrupted by her cell phone every fifteen seconds (the intervals were more like just trying to get back on point before the next interruption) and then his rang and he looked at his phone and didn't answer it. She expressed surprise and said she couldn't just ignore people like that. :rolleyes:

There was also several scenarios where they'd call people into one of three groups (we were quickly able to determine that the groups would be Introverts, Extraverts, and the weakly expressed (like it is a scale 30 E to 3o I, and these would be the people who were 10 or under in either direction), and same with the other three sets. For the I/E exercise, the scenario was "You arrive home from work, and your SO greets you and announces that you've been invited to a party. What is your immediate response? What do you do after you get there?"

My response was something on the order of "Nope!" and "I don't know what "after you get there" you are speaking of. I'm not going, and you can't make me."

Bookangel and Jackie like this.
  6. Jackie

Jackie Member

Seriously, that's a cool approach for your company to take. I'm sure you all learned a lot about one another through that. That phone call video...the E was actually picking up the phone during a business meeting? When is that okay? I rarely pick up my phone if I'm talking to someone else in any kind of situation unless that person never calls me and I assume it's important. That sounds like being plain rude to me, but maybe that really is how Extraverted people are. Was it supposed to be an extreme example?

Haha, that would be my response too! I'm worse though because sometimes I'll agree to things thinking that it would be good to get myself out there. Then I end up bailing. I'm a bit of a flake like that. It's not one of my more appealing traits.

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

INTJ with a huge emphasis on the I and the T. I've taken it several times and that never changes. I did have one tester comment I broke the I score, and another indicate my placing was somewhere off the end of the scale. I'm not sure how that works for a percentage...

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I thought INTJ was supposed to be the rare one. ::geek::

I'm ESFP - not strongly in any one category, but that's where it's put me.

Kind of explains a few things really.

9. penumbra

penumbra Member

@Zelda, that's awesome! I feel you on the negative qualities thing. Like @Jackie said, sometimes it's easier to relate to those since we are so often our own worst critics. I like how these results usually try to show the positives of weaknesses or how they can be overcome.

@Honeybee42, that sounds terrible! I would have hated that too. I hate getting up and talking in front of a group of people, even when it's just about basic information. It sounds like a good exercise though.

@Jackie, I'm flaky like that too. I usually agree because I know it would probably be good for me to get out of the house and socialize but I'm such a homebody. It's not even just that though. I just like being by myself. I like it so much that I stay up way too late because it's the only time I really get peace and quiet.

@tirial, you broke the I score? I've never even heard of that happening before. Do you think you're that introverted?

@Kindler, apparently it isn't, haha. Maybe it just isn't as uncommon among likeminded people. You're the first extravert! ESFPs are a lot of fun to be around. :)

10. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

That sounds disturbingly like my idea of hell:silent:. I don't get the idea that being introverted is something to be corrected, any why so many trainers seem to think that.

I think I upset them because there was supposed to be a class exercise afterwards, with pictures on a board that had to be grouped. Everyone sat around for a bit and then I went up and started moving pictures to get this done and over with so I could get back to work (I hate team-building). And then the rest of the class came up and joined me. We got it done very quickly, and the team builder pulled me aside and started going on about how he was surprised that I put myself up as team lead. My answer was honest but (looking back) rather tactless: "Team, what team? I was solving the problem. I don't know why those other people came up."

I don't know if any of the other introverts have noticed, but apparently introversion at that level comes with immunity to peer-pressure: "But everyone's doing it!" "Great, I hope they have fun. I'll be over here with a book."

11. Jackie

Jackie Member

It's disturbing that so many people think there's something wrong with being introverted. I think it shows a lack of understanding of what it means to be introverted. I would think the point of those exercises should be to highlight the strengths of both types.

@penumbra, get out of my head, man. I'm exactly the same way!

12. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

And where on earth is that acceptable? What did she think she had been doing to the person sitting right opposite her?

13. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

In the phone call video, yes, it was supposed to be some sort of business meeting that the E was interrupting repeatedly to take phone calls from various someones not involved in the business meeting/issue at hand. The I actor even at one point after an interruption said something like "maybe we should re-schedule". I suppose it was supposed to show how Extraverts just love being around people and the more the merrier, but on the planet I live on, that would be considered just plain rude behavior by anyone with even a mild acquaintance with manners.

And yes, I have run into more people than I care to count who think that being extraverted is "normal" and that I somehow need to be fixed. I mean, I can do public speaking (and do it very well--the larger the group the better), but a party is just plain exhausting (though with enough notice, I can build up enough reserves to get through it).

14. Gemini

Gemini Member

Apparently not. I'm an INTJ as well. ::rofl::

I get how that video would show a dramatic difference between the two, but did they try to imply that what the extrovert was doing was okay? or were they merely trying to highlight the differences? I'm just having a hard time imagining any business who would want to encourage that kind of behavior in a business meeting. I think it's a rude thing to do in a casual setting anyway.

I'm jealous that you can do public speaking well. I always clam up and rush way too quickly through things in order to get out of the situation. I understand how people might think I need to work on my public speaking skills, but not on my introversion. There have been a lot of studies done about introversion and its assets. People don't seem to care.

15. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

It was implied that while slightly exaggerated, that that was normal behavior for an extrovert, like they're incapable of putting anyone off for any period of time (except the person that's supposed to actually have their attention!), like a normal, well-mannered person would let the call go to voice mail unless there were some sort of extreme extenuating circumstances (in which case one could spot the number coming in, and only pick up if it's relevant to that issue), or otherwise flat out silence everything on the cell phone.

On the public speaking, I almost wonder if it helped me to have studied piano for many years, so that I almost have an internal metronome that keeps me from accelerating too much, along with a bit of an instinctive sense about where the emphasis belongs. (I once had the horrid experience during my college years of dealing with a professor whose lectures honestly sounded like "mumble, mumble mumble AND mumble mumble AND mumble" .. he put great emphasis on every conjunction, but mumbled through everything else he had to say.)

16. jessica

jessica Active Member

Wow:D! Me too:D! I got 66 on Extravert and 85% on Feeling. Is that high::coffee::?

17. Gemini

Gemini Member

I'm floored by that. That seems more like an issue with self-control than anything else. I always thought that extroversion was more about being invigorated by conversation, not a need to have multiple conversations going on at once. But seriously, if you know you can't just ignore a phone call once you see it coming in, silence your phone and put it out of sight until after the meeting.

That's an interesting concept and totally plausible if you ask me. Thankfully, I don't have the same issue as your old professor (which sounds awful) but I definitely struggle with pacing. I think my nerves have more to do with it than anything else. I've always toyed with the idea of taking some kind of class but, unsurprisingly, the idea terrifies me.

18. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

Applying these results to the members page fits so very well.

In post order, the top three accounts are this admin account, followed directly by @Kindler and @jessica, then at four @tirial who fixes the IT. Then a gap of over 100 posts to the next highest.

19. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Words to live by.

20. skye

skye Member

A stray thought, but is the preponderance of introverts one reason why we have so much trouble promoting the board?