Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by natalie, 18 Oct 2017.

1. natalie

natalie Member

Are any of you going to be giving NaNoWriMo a shot next month? I really want to give it a try this year. I always sign up, but never end up doing anything. I want to change that this year. I have a couple novel ideas in the works, so hopefully one of them can pan out into something during the challenge.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  2. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

I haven't the talent or creativity of a writer, but I think it's a great opportunity for those who write to give it a go. Did you see this thread about Pacemaker? It even has templates to help with a NaNoWriMo project. Why not check it out and see if it helps? I bet you can pull it off!

natalie likes this.
  3. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

That's great, Natalie. I'm a huge fan of NaNoWriMo, and also determined to make something happen this year.

I've "participated" since 2010, but haven't won since that first year. I'm actually doing some prep this year (which I never do) and am planning a ton of write-ins for my region as a way to force myself into doing better and setting aside time to write.

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Oh yeah, I started prepping for that about two months ago.

Amount of prep actually done ... zero!! ::rofl::

Would love to take part, as and whether I do, who knows.

Jordan likes this.
  5. Anna

Anna Member

Congratulations for winning one year, Jordan! I've made a couple half-hearted attempts but need to really give it a go this year. Kindler, I totally get that. I feel like I'm always prepping to write but then when I sit down to write I feel like I haven't prepped at all.

Jordan likes this.
  6. natalie

natalie Member

No! I hadn't seen that thread before so thank you for pointing that out to me. I'm already addicted to it. What a neat tool! Thank you so much for sharing.

Ha, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has tried and failed before. If any of you are interested in being "writing buddies" on there let me know! It'd be great to have some support (and, not going to lie, I love getting the badges.)

7. tirial

tirial Member

I've got three/four years won and then a couple I skipped or failed. With Dragon SpeakingNaturally almost trained, I might have another go this year. If I set up a Nano Group for bookangel, would anyone be interested in joining?

8. Terry

Terry Member

Yeah, I'd be interested - why not.

You'll probably get a few thousand words out of me before life takes over again.

9. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah, I'm game - I keep telling myself I should.

10. natalie

natalie Member

Please do, tirial! I would so be interested in joining. I think it'd be a lot of fun/might make me actually buckle down and do something.

11. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

That sounds great, tirial. The more support, the better. It's a huge task, and I know I've gotten a higher word count the years I've had a sound support system in place.

I consider year my year one win adrenaline- and caffeine-infused more than anything else.

12. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Ok - I'm ready.

Nano group details if you please.

13. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I think I will pass, but the best of good writing to you all.

14. natalie

natalie Member

First day, guys! Has anyone actually gotten anything done today? I'm hoping to start writing after dinner. Wish me luck. Best of luck to everyone participating!

15. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I had to get out of my house yesterday before getting anything done. Around 1o p.m. I found a stopping point and was slightly over the daily recommendation. I'm calling it a win.

Ellie Jane likes this.
  16. jessica

jessica Active Member

I was meant to start NaNo but I've kinda got work and real life and stuff::unsure::

17. Terry

Terry Member

Well I'm hoping to start today... yeah I know excuses, excuses.

18. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

Congratulations Jordon and those who have started! Just starting the hardest part for some. I've run across a site that offers minimal distraction. It's called write.as and the platform even has a whole NaNo format.

I'm no writer, but I make a good cheerleader. ;)

natalie and Jordan like this.
  19. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

Almost a week in, how's everyone doing?

Even though I was too sick to write on Saturday, I caught up yesterday and am right on target. I should hit 10,000 words today.

natalie likes this.
  20. natalie

natalie Member

Cheerleaders are the best!

Jordan, you're doing so much better than me. I let real life consume a lot of my time this week and I'm only at 2,000 words. I'm hoping to have a big writing day tomorrow. What kind of book are you writing?