Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Online Privacy Check

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Mine all mine, October 27, 2020.

1. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Blacklight – The Markup

Found this really interesting. Its a site by the makers of duckduckgo to check what data a site harvests about its users. Stick in a URL and it tells you who grabs your data and what they get.

2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

For the record, the results for Bookangel show Amazon links, which is expected, and statcounter, which I believe is our analytics tool. That's a total of two, which is much lower than other sites I have tried.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

Whoops! a.k.a "let's get that down to one." Statcounter was our old analytics package. Now we use Mamoto, so I'll strip the statcounter cookie off.

4. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF New Member

I tried the BBC. Seventeen ad trackers? Don't we pay a licence fee? WTF? It's sending data to advertising.com for f's sake! 43 third parties!

Won't swapping statcounter for Mamoto leave us with two still? Shouldn't Mamoto be showing on there anyway? Am I being stupid?

5. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

Mamoto doesn't use tracking or cookies. We own the server, the server knows what calls it gets, and Mamoto aggregates that. We don't need to know what other sites you visit, or share that data with anyone else. The only cookie Bookangel actually uses is the login cookie, and that's because there's no real way to handle online accounts without it.

As a huge believer in online privacy, I still think that sites that use Google Analytics should be paying their visitors for the data they harvest and aggregate.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

They wonder why online privacy doesn't exist when nearly every site has either a google or a facebook tracker on it.

Talk about allowing the internet giants to harvest data as they see fit and build profiles of people across the web.

Site Sponsors