Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Outlining and Research

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Donna, 3 Nov 2017.

1. Donna

Donna Member

For those of us who are just learning to write, how do you start your work? Some of my favorite authors do an elaborate outline of their book and then jump in on the research. Some do just the opposite and others just let it flow. What do you do?

2. Anna

Anna Member

For me, I'm a big fan of outlining and research. Although, I think that's because I'm very into writing historical fiction, so that just requires a lot of research (which forms at least a basic outline) before you put pen to paper. I think it depends on both the person and the genre.

3. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

I haven't done any plot outline, but I do sketches for my characters. I found a template online and used it to get to know who I'm working with. My current project is Romance which has a pretty clear path so knowing my characters well enough helps me place them in the proper situations.

4. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I used to do a vague start and have an idea of the end and try to get the two to join up somehow.

It's most annoying when your characters decide that they are going to go off in a different direction and have more fun and adventures doing their own thing instead of what you want the plot to be.

5. natalie

natalie Member

Angel, I sort of like it when that happens because it lets me know that I've created characters with some depth. That's how I've always looked at it. I like doing a lot of research and outlining but I also don't get very far in my writing that way. I need to try and be more of a pantser.

6. Ellie Jane

Ellie Jane Member

That sounds like a great start to a series if the characters can stay in the same story universe. Is that an option at all?

7. Belle

Belle Member

I have never actually done any outlining, but I can see how it could be helpful for keeping things coherent. I'm more of a 'let it flow' kind of writer, but I think I could benefit from learning how to do it. Is it anything like 'mind-mapping'?