Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Pendragon - RPG

Discussion in 'Games' started by tirial, September 17, 2020.

1. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

The Lady Elena shall rise before dawn and, for being a skilled healer, she shall see what aid she can offer to Sir Dyfi.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

The morning dawns grey and misty. The courtyard is abustle with servants and pages, as the palfreys for the Lady Enide and Lady Elena are readied. Their servants are already in attendance, directed by the Lady Enide, waiting only on the Lady Elena who sits, pale and wane, by the side of the manor door. O'ernight Sir Dyfi's wound tried him sorely. Without Lady Elena's careful ministrations, the bluff knight would surely have passed. Now he lies abed, tended by the servants, out of danger but unable to rise to see the travellers depart.

The newly-made knights' steads are right-finely caparisoned, for the first as the mounts for knights and not squires. Each has one rouncey unladen and ready to be used for battle, with another loaded for travel and the knight's riding during the journey. The entourage of a few servants that Sir Alwyn has deputed to travel with the knights are present, quiet and unobserved as the best are.

Sir Alwyn himself sits on a chair by the door. "Sir Jowen, Sir Antor," Sir Anwyn booms, "Afore thee depart, sir knights, take one last gift from me. Two pages approach the horses, and raise shields with the arms covered. "Well, settle them and bare them!" As they are bade, the two new-made knights take their arms, unveiling them the show new-painted livery.

Sir Jowen:Jowen's Coat of Arms Sir Antor:Antor's Coat of Arms

"Bear the arms that mark thee as of my household, until Earl Robert see fit to grant thee both thine own." His voice rings out in challenge. "Disgrace them, sirs, and you do so at your peril. Now, should you not be making ready?"

The Ladies' palfreys are ready, restored and groomed for the road. The Lady Enide's pale tan palfrey is saddled and waiting, while Lady Elena's dark garb is stark contrast to the white of the horse, and her wane exhaustion makes her a sorrowful figure indeed.

Sir Jowen's maille armour shines aglitter in the mist. The rounceys are lively, pawing at the dirt ready for the journey. The travel gear upon the riding horse is well-settled, with rations for many days.

"Sir, is all to your liking?" asks the groom holding the reins.

Sir Antor's leather armour shows him a shadow in the grey light. Of poorer quality, though well-repaired from his long journey to Salisbury two years before, his travel packs are surely well-laden with whorls of rope and a cruel hook there as well as diverse other such things as knight normally do not carry. The rounceys are thinner, and they watch the world with tired eyes. Whispers are on the wind of the strange knight's requests.

"Sirrah, we can procure a cock from the coop," says the steward "but mayst I ask why thou requirest it? Such a foul fowl must surely upset the ladies, if it is for your travel."

"Is it not time thou made haste?" Sir Alwyn bellows. "Day is upon us!"

3. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Jowan spends a little while looking over his horses, checking that they are correctly readied for the journey ahead before sneaking each of the mounts half an apple each before mounting it to receive the one last gift from Sir Alwyn.

When the groom asks his question, he nods in response, "Good job." he says quietly down before he hears the question to his fellow knight.

Given that they should be onward without delay, he cannot help himself but ask,

"Sir Antor, I'm not sure what thou has asked for, but is live poultry really necessary for our journey?" ​

4. COG

COG Citizen of Logres

A little bleary eyed from the indulgences of the night before Sir Antor slowly starts to work his mind back through his hazy recollections in an attempt to discern why he is being asked to justify a chicken.

After a few moments he replies:

"There are many traditions held to be true in my homeland and although their efficacy may be questionable from time to time, I am proud of them all the same.
    The bird was to serve as a token of good fortune, and i'll hold that it would be better for us to have it than not.
    However, if it would unsettle the ladies and since we are pressed for time, it could be forgone in this instance and we will have to find our fortunes where we may"

5. tirial

"Then who be I to defy tradition?" Sir Alwyn claps his hands, and a servant hastens to find a bird. The servant returns quickly, holding the bird out to Sir Antor. Its wings are bound, though the feathers and scratches adecking the servant say that it was not easily caught. "But for thy knowledge, this stands a Christian manor of Arthur. The grove of Epona lies not an hour from this place and is upon your path. Mayhap it is the rightful place for such offerings, and the damosel who dwells there can provide more suited fare for your purpose."

6. COG

COG Citizen of Logres

"Thank you Sir Alwyn for the considerable generosity which you have shown. You may trust that your honour and reputation shall be upheld."

Turning to his travelling companions

"Since I will be making a short detour and I would not wish to delay you I will set off for the Shrine immediately and then catch up to you on the path to Rimchurch."

Sir Antor then tucks his lucky chicken under his arm and rides out.

7. CatInASuit

Sir Jowan watches as Sir Antor starts riding for the gate.

"Hold Sir Antor, the grove is..." his voice tailing off as he realises that Sir Antor is already riding out, "...on our way."

Sir Jowan wonders what Sir Antor is planning to do with the chicken. Mayhaps this is some Rheged custom that he has not mentioned to this point, but still, Sir Jowan hopes that no wandering minstrels here start telling the tale of Sir Antor and the chicken and coming to their own conclusions. It could be most unfortunate indeed.

He bows in the saddle to Sir Alwyn, "By your leave, Sir. I will do justice to the honour you have bestowed upon me." before turning to the ladies, "Lady Elide, Lady Elena, let us depart at a more suitable pace. I know where the grove of Epona is, and we should be able to meet Sir Antor there."

8. jessica

The Lady Elena watches him leave, then moves her horse next to Sir Jowen. Her voice is low and she lays a delicate hand on his arm. "Sir Jowen, you will be our protector upon this quest?"

9. tirial

The Lady Enide mounts her palfrey, turning its head towards the gate. "A most intemperate young man," she says, disquieted "I pray he not lead my son further from the ways of knighthood." Sir Alwyn flushes at the gentle rebuke.

"Sir Dyfi assures me he is a worthy squire, else Earl Robert would not have thought him fitted to be a knight." He states, "but methinks he is brash. I shall send to Salisbury for aid, for Sir Jowen should not undertake this quest alone." He gestures before Sir Jowen can react. "Forsure, he lacks not courage, but merely years."

"My thanks, good sir," the Lady Enide says, " and mayhap we shall encounter the brash Sir Antor again at the grove. Now we must depart."

The party, colours flying gaily, move out to the road in the trail of their erstwhile companion, already out of sight over the next rise.

10. tirial

They have been riding for a scarce quarter hour in quiet companionship when the lady Enide calls for their attention.

"Sir Jowen," the lady Enide says, "though thou may be lettered, pray forgive me if I request this read this to you. It is a last letter from my husband to our son, stating the tenets that he so sorely discarded. It would grieve me sorely if anything were to befall this missive." Sir Danan the Elder was reknowned as a most worthy knight, who throughout his life upheld the knightly virtues. To decline such a request from the Lady would be churlish indeed. The Lady signals a servant who, in a clear voice, delivers the content of the letter aloud.

"My only son,

Abide by these duties and uphold these virtues and you shall always have a place in the glorious order of the Knights of this great realm. Shun them and you bring on your name and your house the greatest shame and dishonour and lose the peace of any God you care to hold sacred.

The Virtue of Upholding the Honour of Ladies
    Before all else the knight must render the duty he owes to ladies, to uphold and protect their honour no matter what. He must be constant in his respect for ladies. He must serve them selflessly and be prepared to lay down his life unquestioningly in that service. He who does not honour ladies is himself bereft of honour and he who raises a hand against them is no knight.

The Virtue of Esprit d'Corps
    Knighthood is a brotherhood of arms. A knight must be loyal to his fellows, be they stranger or friend. He must uphold honour and treat with other knights honourably, expecting like treatment in return. He must be prepapred to lay down his life for his fellow knight, but equally to shun bad company and those whose name he does not recognise, less they be blackguards whose dishonour taint him. Those who would be his companions in arms are rightly to be used in judging he himself. Let none be found wanting.

The Virtue of Gentility
    A knight is not a brawling thug nor armed outlaw, getting his way by force. He is a gentleman as much as a warrior. He must know the arts of courtesy and courtly behaviour, but more importantly he must know when and how to maintain them against all provocation. He must strive to be well-spoken, discreet, and courtly in all his endeavours.

The Virtue of Godliness
    A knight must cleave to his religion, his church and its representatives, no matter what that religion. He must defend it with his life, act as sword to those who would attack it, act as shield to its defense, and offer mercy and protection to those who come within its bounds. Those widows and orphaned children who come under the protection of his church he must defend to the last sword stroke.

Be well my son, and God's peace with you in your endeavours.

Your father,

Sir Danan the Elder."

The Lady seems quite overcome, and is silent for some long moments before she speaks again.

"Sir Jowen, do you believe you can uphold these values, so true to the heart of any knight, and draw my son back to them?"

11. CatInASuit

The gentle sound of the horses moving along the road break the silence as Jowan thinks on the words that Lady Enide have spoken. He tries not to think that Sir Antor has already fallen afowl of the first virtue.

"My lady, those are the virtues my father raised me to live by. Verily he gave his life to uphold those values. I will do my utmost to live by those values and show Sir Daine what it means to be a true knight."

He pauses for a moment before continuing, "I will also add that despite his actions, I have seen that at heart Sir Antor does follow the same code." Jowan hopes that Antor is not going to show that those words are in error over the next few days.

12. tirial

A most loathly lady comes forth, her mouth wide as a toad, her skewed gaze shrewd, from a wrinkled face scaled like a fish. "A knight to my grove. What seeks ye?"

"A fowl." sayeth she, as she espies the chicken. Afore the young knight can speak, she takes hold of the reins. "Good sir, I lay on you this geas, that you not speak until until you depart here."

"Is it enchanted? A demon? your lady love? Or is it for me? A pretty gift for a squire, a pretty poor gift for a knight, a pretty insult for a lady." She mocks the chicken and the knight with cruel words. "Ye are no longer a squire, no'but'a knight, untried as the paint on thy untried shield."

"Tell me, don't I deserve derring do?" The loathly maiden makes mock of courtly damosels and simpers. "Am I not worthy of your sword? The favours the knights do ladies? Would you bear my favour?"

"I lay this on thee then, that thou shalt ne'er bear arms against a lady. Thou shalt ne'er give a gift that is not of thine own. And thou shalt ne'er abandon a quest." And thereupon she draped a sprig of ivy on his wrist, that he bear it as a knight bears his lady's favour.

"And I shall return this to where it came," she speaks, taking the chicken from Sir Antor, "Learn ye well, that thou art a knight to offer deeds, not a peasant to offer chickens. And lo, thou shalt rejoin your companions in haste, for they are upon us. Fare thee well, and get ye gone!"

Sir Antor's horse turns its head away from the grove, and will not be turned back, try though he might. The loathly maiden waves him away, the fowl happily ensconced in her arms as she does.

On the road beyond horses can be heard, and merry conversation, as the company of Sir Jowen and Lady Enide and Lady Elena make their way on the path that runs directly by the sacred grove.

Last edited by a moderator: September 26, 2020
  13. jessica

"Sir Antor," Lady Elena says, "Have you finished your duties? It makes my heart glad that you rejoin us for the journey."

14. CatInASuit

Sir Jowan looks across at the direction Lady Elena has called towards the grove to see what is happening.

15. jessica

Lady Elena frowns. "Sir Antor, you are being very quiet."

16. tirial

A company once more, the new made knights and damosels and their retinue ride onwards. The Lady Enide speaks further on her husband's belief in the virtues of knighthood, a sore heavy load upon he for the actions of her son. The knights must fair consider what is asked of them, for it is a noble adventure indeed to return valour to a craven and honour to a dishonoured.

Passing Devises for it fall upon their way, as the eventide falls, they reach Calne, long beyond the manse of Sir Alwyn or e'en the reach of Earl Robert's vast demesne of Salisbury. A small village makes for overnight lodging and the Ladies and Knights must consider their quest, for, as speaketh the Lady Enide:

"Good Sirs, tomorrow we shall ride for Rimchurch. Thou must preparest well for facing the follies of my son. I fear we shall find but poor hospitality there."​

17. CatInASuit

Sir Jowan looks across the table at Lady Enide, trying hard to hide any nerves given that tomorrow will likely have his first actions as a knight.

"Perchance my Lady, you could give us some idea of what we are likely to find there. What follies are we likely to find there and is there anything we can do to appeal to your son's sense of chivalry? You have mentioned the virtues contained within the letter from your late husband."
    He looks across at Sir Antor and nods to him, "I hope that we can live up to those ideals."

18. jessica

Lady Elena sobs. "Oh kind sirs, it is dreadful. He treats the gentelfolk like churls. He treats the churls like animals. He has this dreadful seneschal he has threatened to marry me to, to keep my lands. The man is not good nor kind and I should rather die!"

19. tirial

"I can say little more than that he came back in high dudgeon, denouncing his father's virtues as false and impossible for a knight to attain," the Lady Enide says, "and the the dastards and churls within each of the manors that he thought his father named 'friend' proved them false by such. That ladies need have no respect, that courtesy and knightly behaviour were false and that knights laying down their lives in service a lie."

"I know but that he found such doings at these castles that he would tell me not of them, saying I his mother had no ear for such affairs." She sighs. "Yet it is strange, for my husband lived in accord with these same ones my son now despises, and ne'er would he betray his honour to do so."

"Now he keeps bad company, for the aforementioned churl of a seneschal is a dour Roman, known not to me or my husband, and the vassal who once held the post sent away unhoused and unhorsed through no fault save my son's churlish desires." This is a grevious charge indeed, for the loyalty of a knight to his Lord must be returned.

For the knights, this challenge must be a grave affair indeed. True horrors must lie afore them to cause a noble knight to fall to such vile acts in but one journey, and who could treat a grieving son so hideously.

20. CatInASuit

"It seems that we have many things to achieve then, not just to help your son to understand the folly of his ways, but also to rebuke the churls who would lead him astray and to restore your household to it's former self."

Site Sponsors