Quantcast

Personal questions in an interview?

Discussion in 'Day to day etiquette issues' started by jessica, 14 May 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

I suck at thread titles.

Ok this will sound weird but it really threw me today. I was talking with someone responsible for my evening courses about next year's signups. He asked how many kids I had, which I guess is kind of relevant for time planning::unsure::, but when I said none, he asked "Why not?"o_O I wasn't expecting it and stammered and he got pushy about it:eek:. I kind of stammered until he got the idea and moved on to the next question:silent:. Was this appropriate? It didn't feel like it. Help!

2. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

No it was not appropriate for him to say that! If there is a next time (and I hope there isn't for you!) just say "I beg your pardon?!" and look at the person rather stony faced.... they'll get the idea, and if they don't and they persist, you can politely say something like "I don't see the relevance."

3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Hell no, that's not acceptable. It's not acceptable when you're being interviewed for a job, let alone evening courses. It's no business of his, he's just being a nosy so-and-so.

In general, you can't really ask that kind of personal question any more for a lot of jobs. There may be a few roles where it might be relevant, or if someone was to turn up pregnant in which case maternity leave becomes a factor, but in general, no.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

No. No, I don't think that is appropriate.I think that is rather rude. Either polite deflection or 'confusion' would be appropriate, perhaps ask if that matters for your application.

5. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

That question was completely inappropriate. Perhaps given age and culture differences my answer would have been truthful and rather cold: namely a blunt "They died. Now, shall we continue?" It is a simple learning experience for him, as it seems he was not well-trained on customer service, or basic politeness. A moment's discomfort for the person asking the question is far better than him continuing to discomfort all those he comes in contact with.

If he did it again, then there would be a complaint.

6. jessica

jessica Active Member

Ouch. Reader, so sorry:((.

Chatted to a few other people, and he's only done this to the girls:mad:. We'll be chatting to our course teacher about this 'cos its not right.

7. Terry

Terry Member

Are there any personal questions that could be considered relevant in an interview because I'm having a hard time thinking of any that are?