Quantcast

Plotter or Pantser?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Gemini, 26 Jun 2018.

1. Gemini

Gemini Member

What's your style - are you a plotter or a pantser? Do you work out a certain amount of your plot and then just see where the wind takes you? Do you have to have every detail planned out? Or do you like to just start with a blank page and see what happens? I'm a hardcore plotter myself but I wish I was more of a pantser.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I tend to write odd scenes and then string them together into a plot. Assembling the story takes longer than the actual writing (and using Speech control that's saying something).

3. Zelda

Zelda Member

I usually have to have a general plotline before I can get started writing. When I do, I typically write all over the place and see how I can develop some good subplots. I used to have really outrageous plotting habits but I found that I had a hard time writing because I felt too constrained. It was important for me to find the right balance between the two.

4. Gemini

Gemini Member

@tirial, do you already have a general story and/or character idea when you start writing out scenes or are you just writing and seeing what happens?

I wish I felt more comfortable writing things out of order. I've just always been a plotter and writing with more freedom sort of unnerves me. (That's a little sad, isn't it?) I think it'd be good to find a balance like you, @Zelda. I'm worried I might be limiting myself.