Quantcast

Politics in your publisher?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by Tregaron, 1 Aug 2018.

1. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I saw an advert for Eyewear Publishing, part of Maida Vale Imprint, and was considering suggesting them to a friend with a memoir. When I saw their FAQs I had strong second thoughts. They have very limited information about their publishing backgrounds, skills, and history but a very long statement about politics and their political views. It can be read here FAQs & EDITORIAL POLICY Should this be considered a red flag?

2. Jackie

Jackie Member

I think it's weird that their link for "The Eyewear Team" doesn't lead to anything. I don't know if it's a red flag, but it would definitely give me pause. I would at least request for some more information about the company outside of their political views. Todd Swift's blog talks a little bit more about him and the books they publish, but it's still largely about politics. Unless her memoir fits all of their political requirements, I'd probably suggest looking elsewhere.

3. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Skipping the political issues, what may be considered a red flag is that they mention submission portals and competitions but request an email rather than provide links. Also the simple fact they are a small press, which does limit what resources they can provide to help you. It is unfortunate but small presses close regularly, even ones with backing, which can endanger rights.

That said, I haven't seen anyone talking about them on absolutewrite.com or the other bewares sites, so no one's complaining publicly yet.

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

The red flag I would say lies here:
    Writers are not the same as editors. I would expect their editors to have not just books published to their name, but also editorial training, experience, and qualifications. If the website is a sample of their editorial work then, if I wanted to be pedantic, the dreadful abuse of caps in that sentence is not promising.

There is a huge difference between being a good writer and being a good editor.

5. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

Irony ... you go to the home page and are treated to this little gem: "WE ARE CLOSED FOR A SUMMER BREAK UNTIL SEPTEMBER 1 - why not order your books from a local bookshop or Amazon for faster delivery in the meantime?" (emphasis added).

6. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire