Quantcast

Random trivia

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by PageTurner, 6 Aug 2018.

1. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

Being a writer means that you've probably picked up a lot of random trivia that you'd have never known otherwise. What are some of the weird things you've learned from your writing research?

2. Zelda

Zelda Member

I learned about a Welsh wedding tradition in the 1800s where, after the ceremony, the women would go to the bride's house and lay booby traps for the groomsmen to get past. Once they managed to get past them all, they would have to perform various skills for the women. Then, they basically had a poetry/singing battle with one another and only once the men won did they relinquish the bride to them and she was taken back to her husband.

3. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

Haha, that sounds awesome. Someone should really try and bring that back. I'm sure there are a lot of fun historical wedding traditions out there. I've never really researched them before but I'm going to have to look into it eventually for the book I'm working on.

Did you end up using that bit of research in your writing?

4. Zelda

Zelda Member

It does sound pretty fun. It also sounds exhausting. It'd be funny to see it done in modern times, although I'm sure some of the fundamentals would be changed. For instance, instead of a poetry/singing battle, it'd be like a rap battle or something. Not quite as magical, but it'd fit the criteria I suppose. What's your novel's setting?

I didn't. It was just one of those fun tidbits I picked up along the way.

5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Disclaimer: This might be something that a lot of people know and I just didn't because I'm terrible at geography.

I didn't know that there were so many claims on land in Antarctica and that the claims are a point of contention between some countries with overlapping boundaries. The "official" countries include the UK, Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, France, Australia, and Norway. The countries that have claims that aren't recognized are the US, Brazil, Russia, Peru, and South Africa.

Other things I learned about Antarctica:
    • There aren't any polar bears.
    • One research said that 50 million years ago, it had a similar climate to California.
    • It's the only country without timezones.
    • There's an ATM there.

6. penumbra

penumbra Member

I was editing some work I'd done on a historical fiction novel and saw that I'd used the idiom, "stole my thunder". I was sure that predated the origin of the saying, but I checked it out just to make sure. I thought its history was pretty funny:

It barely predated my novel which wasn't something I was expecting.