Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

Selling second rights?

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by atry, 15 Feb 2018.

1. atry

atry Member

All the magazines seem to want 'first rights'. What about second rights? Can you sell a story twice, or is it sold once and that's it?

2. tirial

tirial Member

If anyone knows somewhere, please let me know. I have a lot of short stories and getting paid twice for them is something I would very much enjoy;).

I used to use duotrope but now they have gone paid, and I don't have enough stories to cover it.

3. Jackie

Jackie New Member

Publishing ... and Other Forms of Insanity: 185 Literary Magazines Accepting Reprints
    This list is from a couple of years ago, and not all submissions are paid, but you can see if any of these suit your needs! Another option that you can look into is finding magazines that want exclusive rights. This stops you from offering any rights to other publishers for a predetermined amount of time. However, once that time passes, then you can sell it to other publications.

4. jessica

jessica Active Member

Do they take stories that have been online?

5. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I guess the only value for a lot of them is in being the first place to have it.

Only place I've seen things like this would be in anthology collections.