Quantcast

Shorthand

Discussion in 'Writer's Lounge' started by jessica, 6 Aug 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

My journalism course says I need to learn shorthand:confused:. I thought this was kind of dead:oops:. Are there apps or things that make it work with tablets, cos it looks like a totally new alphabeto_O? Does it help with writing?

2. Gemini

Gemini Member

I don't have any personal experience with official shorthand systems but I don't think they're really made to be written in a digital format. There might be some kind of note-taking/drawing app you could use if you have a stylus pen, but I don't think there are any kinds of translation or keyboard apps out there...not that I know of anyway.

Are you supposed to learn Teeline?

3. jessica

jessica Active Member

My course notes say Teeline:up:. Are there otherso_O?

4. Gemini

Gemini Member

There are quite a few different types out there but I think Teeline is the most popular. Pitman is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully it's a skill worth learning!

5. Wow, this is interesting. My mother knew shorthand and was a legal secretary, but I didn't think anyone used or even knew about Pitman anymore. Good luck.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Shorthand is mainly used to allow someone to write as fast as someone can speak so it can be transcribed later. Dictaphones and recorders have become a lot more prevalent so shorthand is less required, but still an invaluable skill.

7. Gemini

Gemini Member

@C. Lee McKenzie, I don't think many people use Pitman anymore. Teeline seems to be the name of the game.

I can see why it would be a good skill to have. I think writing something down is always more reliable than technology.