Quantcast

Swearing around children?

Discussion in 'Day to day etiquette issues' started by atry, 11 Jul 2018 at 11:55.

1. atry

atry Member

Swear Goes The Neighborhood - Funny Quotes & True Stories

From Not Always Right, a person's new neighbour complains because she swore and her children heard. The swear was uttered inside the person's own home, where the woman's children were playing under the window. I don't think it is reasonable to ask the homeowner to curtail language in their house, and what a way for a neighbour to introduce themselves!

2. Gemini

Gemini Member

And therein lies the double standard.

Although both requests are ridiculous because you really can't tell others what to do on their private property (unless it's illegal, of course). It would be different if the woman was voluntarily interacting with her children and swore.

3. Zelda

Zelda Member

Oh, for the love of all that is holy. How preposterous! It's insane how mothers think that they can completely control everything their children are exposed to by limiting the freedom of others. Like Gemini said, it'd be one thing if she was speaking to them and cursed - and even then this woman should be far more polite about a first-time offense - but overhearing her speaking to herself, on her own property no less, is not her fault.

4. penumbra

penumbra New Member

It's not like she was just yelling curse words for the fun of it. Something happened on her private property, she had a gut reaction, and it was overheard. This woman sounds like she's trying to parent another adult. I'm just confused by so much of this. Her initial demand is ridiculous, but I think it's even wilder that she's asking for an apology on top of it.