Quantcast

The correct Cream Tea

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Reader, 30 Apr 2018.

1. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I am aure many of you remember the scandal and outrage last month, when an image that was supposedly of a Cornish Cream Tea was illustrated by a photograph that was clearly of a Devon Cream Tea. It is a very obvious difference, as the Devonshire Cream Tea has the jam on top of the cream.

Now that this outrage has died down, I have a question pertaining to a more fundamental issue that lies at the heart of both types. Something that cuts right to the heart of the very nature of a cream tea: Should a Cream Tea, whether of Devonshire or Cornish pedigree, have butter on it?

2. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

Butter on a cream tea? Never! Is that not that what the cream is for?

3. porridge

porridge Member

Softy southerns. Right way comes with whisky and goes anyway it'll stuff in yer mouth.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I loathe jam, so my cream teas go scone, butter, cream. Does that make me a heathen then?

5. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I must admit to going for everything: butter, followed by jam, followed by a healthy dollop of cream on top.

It may not be healthy by some considerations, but it certainly tastes wonderful.

6. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Nah, butter as part of a cream tea is nothing.

So, should the scones be plain...or have fruit in them? ::devil::

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

I shall defend my right to plain scones with my life!

Fruit ones aren't bad unless they are overcooked. Crunchy sultanas are an experience...