Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

The POTUS Election

Discussion in 'Life in General' started by Kindler, 16 Oct 2016.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

So, in just a few weeks time, the US votes for its next president between Donald Trump (Rep) and Hilary Clinton (Dem). Admittedly there are a couple of others in the race, but due to the nature of the electoral system, they will unfortunately not get a look in.

We have a massive amount of scandal, both personal and political, as well as one final presidential debate to go, it seems that Hilary Clinton has a fairly commanding lead and is odds-on to win, although if you follow betting, Donald Trump had no chance to be the Republican nominee, let alone in the race for the most powerful job on the planet.

Both of them have flaws, Hilary's insider status, her close ties to Wall Street, the issues with the email servers mark her out as THE status quo, whether she will change anything for those in trouble while she is in charge is anyone's guess.

Trump, OTOH, has been dogged by personal scandal for a while but benefits by not being seen as a political outsider and self-made man and promises to support the little guy if elected.

What's surprised me about this election more than any of the others, is how quickly the political stories and emphasis changes. A week or two agao, it was Hilary in trouble, with pneumonia and her health and now it's turned on its head to become about a women's rights to be treated as a person, not a thing. If Hilary wins this, she really owes Michelle Obama one for that speech.

So, are there any other twists and turns left in this one?

2. jessica

jessica Active Member

3. djbook

djbook Member

@Kindler The people are going to vote in Clinton. And this was decided the day the people chose Trump to be the GOP candidate! In fact, much much before that, I already knew that Trump and Clinton will be the two nominees. I could predicted it because I was looking at the betting odds and not what anyone was saying. People were betting on Clinton and Trump for the primaries. And people have been betting for Clinton to win the elections. No one bets to lose, especially people who are betting billions on her to win and have the power to sway public opinion.

In fact, Irish bookmakers are already paying out folks who had bet on Clinton winning the elections. Did you miss this: Bookmakers pay out over £800,000 on Hillary Clinton winning US election

Always look at the betting odds :)

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

@djbook - Follow the bookies eh.

Usually that's really wise advice, even given the Brexit campaign when the bookies had Remain to win.

First time I've seen that one happen for something major.

Politics nowadays, always seems a gamble and it's pot luck as to who you are lucky enough to get elected with.