Quantcast

The Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Weddings' started by Angel, 11 May 2018.

1. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

If there is guaranteed to be one wedding that will be expected to go flawlessly, it is going to be one of these. I can't begin to imagine how much preparation will be going into it.

Of course, that will all be behind the scenes, while out front, it appears that all the newspapers are are awash with yet more and more stories, mainly about the bride and her past. I, honestly, thought we were in 2018 and that those sort of features no longer mattered, but apparently it is worth selling newspapers over.

In general, most of the people I know are just wishing the best to the happy couple, but some, oh dear, oh dear, seem to think that such trivialities are of the highest importance and cannot be quiet about them.

So, to our new friends who have joined us, what would be the correct etiquette and method for avoiding such conversation? Perhaps, you might have some useful words of wisdom on the topic.

2. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

What is really striking me about it is the number of papers and media sources devoting all their time to being unpleasant about the bride. Insulting a bride before her wedding is not good etiquette in any form I know of, and I am fairly certain that Prince William's bride did not have to go through this.

I'm beginning to feel quite some sympathy for her.

3. Terry

Terry Member

Yeah, I'll ditto what tirial is saying.

If you're asking how to get out of conversations about the upcoming wedding. Good luck, it's going to be the only topic of conversation for the next week for a fair chunk of people.

But it's only a week away and then it's all over. I'd just nod, smile and bean dip to comments about the changeable weather instead.

4. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Some of the papers have gone nuts over this picking over every detail of the bride's past. It will probably be the only chance they got as once married to the Firm, the papers are going to have to lay off. I bet Harry's past is even more murky, but no paper is going to cover it in case the get their wedding invitation withdrawn.

The comparisons between Meghan and Diana are just ludicrous, but some people will swallow those stories whole.

I'd just ignore those conversations, pull out a book and go back to reading until they say something of more interest.

5. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I apologise for the wordy nature of the post.

It was supposed to be a simple question of how to avoid people who sole topic of conversation is the royal wedding and everything both right and wrong about it.

I wish th happy couple both the very best, as one should do, but I believe I will resort to pulling out a novel to show my interest in the conversations about it.

6. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 New Member

Well, off the top of my head, one of the techniques from e-hell was "bean dip". I can't quite remember how it started, but the essence was a literal offering of bean dip to alter the course of conversation. It's come to mean asking a question (or perhaps making a statement) that's a bit of a non sequitor to bounce the conversation into a different direction (whether that be "have you read [insert title]?" or some weather-related question/observation, or whatever else comes to mind).

It probably won't work with a story of this magnitude, but maybe a few doses will get the point (assuming a single offender, which I suppose is rather unlikely) across that you're not interested in discussing ad nauseam.

7. skye

skye Member

@Angel, don't fret. Only four more days of this to go.

8. Terry

Terry Member

I think someone is planning a street party somewhere near us for the Saturday to celebrate the happy occasion.

Bunting and balloons and lots of food and drink and by the looks of it good weather as well.

9. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

Well, I have survived through the week, the happy event is tomorrow and by Monday the only thing people will be commenting on is the new rail timetable in the region with the wedding long past in their memories.

I believe it would be wrong of me, at this point, to make comparisons with goldfish.

10. Pattycake

Pattycake New Member

If I could watch at a decent hour, I would! As it is, I will be satisfied with seeing a photo or two of the happy couple and the dress whenever I do get up as there is no way I am getting up at 2:30 or 3:30 am (not sure what time it starts!)

11. jessica

jessica Active Member

Stuff the media, there's a lovely couple getting married today:). I wish them a long and very happy marriage:)::coffee:: (no toasting smiley? :()

12. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

sniff It was a lovely wedding.

Also I heartily agree with the change to the vows as well.

13. Pattycake

Pattycake New Member

I didn't watch the whole thing, just some highlights. I really liked the modest and simple dress!

14. Terry

Terry Member

Caught some clips of it as well, seemed like a perfectly normal royal wedding, as far as they go.

Most eye-rolling thing I heard in follow up was the comment about when she would be pregant by. Seriously? It's her body, it doesn't belong to the state.