Quantcast

Theresa May on the way?

Discussion in 'The Dive' started by atry, 15 Nov 2018.

1. jessica

jessica Active Member

Wow!:p She's not going quietly!:rolleyes:::lol:: *popcorn*::geek::

2. porridge

porridge Member

Fucking 'ell, the tory sassenachs could'na even do this right!

3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Looks like May lives to fit another day, but she's a lame duck now.

Most of her backbenchers voted against her, and any chance of getting her brexit deal through is going to rely on the other parties to support her. Good luck with that.

4. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

What a mess. It's a sucking wound, but they missed the vitals.

5. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

Useless. Everyone knows you have to shoot zombies in the head.

6. skye

skye Member

I don't understand this. I mean she won, but everyone is saying it was a bad result. Explain?

7. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

A confidence vote isn't a simple majority yes or no. It indicates how many votes the government can rely on in Parliament. MPs who vote no confidence are likely to vote against legislation.

So effectively as CIAS put it, she's now making confidence and supply arrangements with 117 of her own MPs just to get legislation through. Even then she won't have a majority and require cross-party support, but the problem is that with 117 votes against she's unlikely to find enough votes to fill the gap.

8. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I should mention, I cannot see her resigning. No matter how untenable her situation, the lady will not leave number 10 in tears but with dignity. She is more likely to be carried out by police, holding on to the doorframe and screaming "But I am the P.M. I am!"

9. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

To put it succinctly, she may be in office, but she is not in power.

For comparison, Margaret Thatcher got 204 votes when challenged and resigned as it was not an outright majority.

10. porridge

porridge Member

Lass, add in handcuffs an' a tazing by a plod with a shiner, and tha's to my mind.

11. skye

skye Member

Thanks, I think I see it. But they would really vote against their own party?

12. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

The distinction between party and government is important in this case. The MPs represent their constituents and local party, so they are not voting against the party if they vote against the government.

However they may vote against the government, and indicated they had no confidence in it by voting "no confidence". Their duty is to vote for what they think is the best interests of the country, and voting "no confidence" signals that they do not have confidence the government is acting in that interest. Therefore, they may vote against it.

Such votes tend to act as signals of discontent within a party, and rallying cries for those that oppose the incumbent. MacMillan and Thatcher both won in similar circumstances with larger proportions of the MPs, and yet both still had to leave.

13. jessica

jessica Active Member

Hmm... :up:;)

14. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

You know, it's amazing looking back at this thread given everything that has happened over the last few months, or more precisely, the last few weeks...

15. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Please. Just let it end.

Been keeping my head down until it's over one way or another.

16. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah. Speaker Bercow really doesn't like her.

Do we have a popcorn smiley for the rest of the month?

17. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

I'm sorry, I don't think I want to be part of the UK for the near future.

Well, she has united the country...in total distate for her.

What was she thinking?

18. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Nope - checking in. She's still there. :rolleyes: