Quantcast
  1. Scribblings now has a Word Count Validator, as requested. Users can save their wordcount and embed it in their posts via the [wordtrack] BBcode, or just use [wordcount] to embed without saving.
    Dismiss Notice

Those of a Knightly Bent Wanted!

Discussion in 'Games' started by tirial, September 2, 2020.

1. Threadmarks: Intro
    tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire Scribe

It is a time of myth and legend, a time lost to history, when dragons guarded hordes, and damsels must be rescued from towers. A time of chivalry and knights and kings, of courtly love and jousts and tourneys, of battles and quests and heroes. A time for a group of squires to be knighted, to take up their shields and seek out glory for their family and their name.

It is AD 531.

It is the Court of King Arthur Pendragon.

Since we are still stuck at home, I'm going to try and adapt a few of the King Arthur Pendragon RPG scenarios to play-by-forum. If you've never played an RPG by forum before, I've never run one this is a learning experience all round.

A few basic admin rules: you need to post every day or two, as the plot will keep moving. Experience uneccessary. The Forum owner has agreed to allow second accounts for this, so if you want you can have a Knightly account with your coat of arms just for the game - don't start sockpuppeting on the board as we'll know who you are!

Characters are squires about to be knighted - remember Pendragon covers the fifty years of Arthur's reign so you're playing family lines, not just the first squire you roll up.

Please post below if you are interested. I'll kick the game off when I have four or five players.

2. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like fun and I'd be interested in having a go.
    I've played a couple of forum based RPGs, I enjoy the slightly slower pace and the post once a while instead of a gaming (k)nights.

3. Threadmarks: Create a Character
    tirial

Admin Post: Making a character
    By default all Pendragon characters are 21, male, the oldest son and heir of their father, and about to be knighted. If you want to change these details please let me know, otherwise just post a few lines about anything you really want in their background, favourite horse, childhood incident, siblings, prefered weapons, major issues etc. I'll fill out the rest from that and give you the details.

This is chivalric romance so gender roles are very stratified. If you want to play a female knight, let me know as you'll come from outside Arthur's realm. Likewise, if you want to play a courtly lady, or a man who is not a knight, this will be more complicated, so drop me a message.

If you're having trouble choosing names: Medieval first names or Even More Medieval Names
    (Don't choose a name that belongs to an actual Knight of the Round Table - you'll going to meet some of them and they might take it badly. You'd also be expected to live up to it, and trust me you can't.)

Generate a coat of arms.
    Autogenerate a Coat of Arms
    Design your own

Remember, don't take it too seriously and don't get too attached to your characters - Pendragon covers fifty years, so you are likely to end up playing their offspring or other family members at some point.

4. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

I can't post that regularly but if watching is allowed, may I observe your Mallory malaprops? I may join in in October, if sanity reasserts itself. 2020 has been sadly lacking it.

5. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

I'm up for it :up: Kniughts ::ninja:: and romance :love::love::love:

6. tirial

:rolleyes:

7. Mine all mine

Mine all mine Member

How's Jessica-speak going to work in this? DO we get Knightly smilies?

I don't get how this is going to work? Do the players post regularly and we all make a decision and you write it? And dice?

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

::ninja:: - I thought this was a ninja, the very antithesis of a knight (big words FTW!)

Should be fun to play - let me know if you need a spare player.

9. tirial

Knightly smilies::ninja:: has given me an idea. Hold that thought.

With the first scenario, I was going to run the group into each challenge, let them 'camp' for the night, giving everyone two or three days to discuss it in character, and then break camp and run the resolution. I was planning to do the dice rolls offscreen and keep most of the gaming in text so players didn't have to worry about the rules.

Once the quests are over for the year, we deal with winter, courting, estates, manors, etc. which should take a few messages and a week or so unless something big happens, and then on to next year's quests.

10. skye

skye Member

Would it be okay to join later cos I'm busy for the next month or so?

11. CatInASuit

I've mentioned it to a couple of people who may be interested, more players (and more people on the board) is always a good thing. I'm hopeful as always.

I had a go at creating my own coat of arms. It makes little sense other than being pretty, I think?

12. Threadmarks: Character Template
    tirial

Right, two players so far: CIAS and Jessica.

I'm going to start the game on the seventeenth.

Meanwhile, if you are playing, please create characters using the template and post them in this thread. Defaults are in brackets.

Name:
    Birth Order: (First child)
    Kingdom: (Logres)
    Appearance:
    Preferred weapons: (Sword)
    History and Hobbies:

13. jessica

jessica Citizen of Logres

Name: Lady Elena
    Birth Order: Female
    Kingdom: Logres
    Appearance: Beautiful lady in flowing dress.
    Preferred weapons: o_O;)
    History and Hobbies: Tapestry and sewing, or Healing?? She wanted to be a nun when she was young, but now she wants to be swept of her feet by dashing knights. :love::love::love:

14. CatInASuit

Hmmm. Currently add attachments to posts is disabled.

Will have to see what I can do, but I'm afraid that coat of arms will have to wait for a while...

...ok, players will be able to do so.

15. Threadmarks: How to Post Coats of Arms
    tirial

Okay I have too much time on my hands...
    Arthur's Coat of Arms

Use the code below to add a shield to your posts:
    Code:
    [Pendragon]Arthur[Pendragon]
    Swap the name in the middle with the knight or lady whose coat you want to display. I've only done Arthur so far. I'll add the Players when I get them.

Last edited by a moderator: September 12, 2020
  16. tirial

I have absolutely no idea what that suggests.

So a classical romance heroine? I can work with that. Would you mind having an older brother or cousin?

And the Knights of the Round table are spoken for.

17. COG

COG Citizen of Logres

Hi,

Just checking in and expressing an interest.

I'm not exactly up to speed on 5th century kingdoms, but I found this online:

EBK: Map of Britain in AD 475

Also this looked ok for period specific names:

Popular Baby Names , origin Arthurian-Legend

Anyway here is my submission

Name: Antor Demdike

Birth Order: Third Child

Kingdom: Rheged

Appearance:

Medium height

Medium weight

Green eyes

Blonde hair

Poor quality hand-me-down clothing and equipment.

Preferred weapons: Quaterstaff

History and Hobbies:

Originating from a damp land of rolling hills and pig farms he has set forth to seek adventure and find a fortune for himself. His family is of local importance but the chance of any significant inheritance due to him at this point would be slim.

He has an interest in reading the stars and portents, following in a quietly held family tradition.

18. CatInASuit

Name: Sir Jowan
    Birth Order: First child
    Kingdom: Logres
    Appearance: Tall and thin, with straw coloured hair and eyes constantly darting around
    Preferred weapons: Sword
    History and Hobbies: Teased mercilessly by his younger sister who will probably make a better knight than, he is looking to at least prove something to his father. While he tries hard to be knightly, he finds himself enjoying a few, more interesting, nightly activities where he can.

19. tirial

@CatInASuit - I can work with that - I take it I should expect a weakness for the ladies?

@COG - Glad to have you. Only thing to be aware of is that Rheged is anarchic territory in Pendragon: 80 independent Knights and no overall Lord, so in practice you'd start the game in Logres in the south where your father would have sent you for fostering and knighthood (at someone else's expense as you're a spare). If you're OK with that, I can work with it.

20. COG

COG Citizen of Logres

That sounds fine, thanks for having me.

Site Sponsors