Quantcast

What did you do today?

Discussion in 'Time for Tea' started by CatInASuit, 13 May 2018.

1. CatInASuit

CatInASuit Administrator Staff Member

Well, yesterday I managed to work out how to use Xenforo properly, hence the new sponsor ads, and today I managed to unexpectedly get rid of a bookcase through freecycling.

So - what did you do today, something big, something small or nothing at all?

2. Amethyst Anne

Amethyst Anne New Member

I am crocheting and listening/watching movies all day today: Alice Through The Looking Glass(this morning) Goodbye Christopher Robin(right now), and then The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen tonight. I will watch How The States Got Their Shapes Season One tomorrow and the next day.

I've been crocheting on Round 36 of the Between Meals Centerpiece.

3. afbluebelle

afbluebelle New Member

Bawled my eyes out because my family forgot Mother's Day and mad new profiles on the new sites. And laundry... yay laundry!

4. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

I engaged in the "sacred tradition" of the Sunday afternoon nap.

5. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Yesterday, nothing but eat, it seems! Was invited to a family (not mine!) party, which was very kind of my elderly friend. Got to know her daughter a little. Her daughter lives on the other side of the country. Met two of her grandsons, both very nice young men, and the beloved dog, who I would steal in a heartbeat! He's a large dog but so well trained! He's a certified therapy dog too and will be lifelong friends if you only pet him! So it was a lovely day. Today I am trying to get myself out of the house to go to a new quilt group.... so why am I here? LOL!

6. Terry

Terry Member

I guess that's Mother's Day in the US then, it was earlier on in the year in the UK.

Today, the highlight was watching some real gusty wind blow pollen off the trees through patchy sunlight. Little bits of floating petal and seeds flying away and getting everywhere, throwing miniature shadows all around.

It's was surprisingly cool.

7. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

It's usually too early in the day to have anything to say about what I did today so probably I will always be talking about yesterday. I am probably the furthest west living person here - I am in Alberta Canada!

Yesterday I went to the dr. and the good news is that though technically I do have sleep apnea, I only stop breathing about 5 times/hour and that's just not worth getting the CPAP equipment for. Yay! because it's really expensive. And I get to stop taking one of the blood pressure meds I have been on so that's good too.

Today is house cleaning day, and hopefully I will get in a couple hours of quilting.

8. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Alberta Canada, That's well to the west of the UK and any day you get to stop taking medication is a good day for sure.

Yesterday, I managed the classically stupid thing of not charging my phone and having it run out of power during the day. :oops:

Today, I made sure it was at 100% when I woke up.

9. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Oh dear! I always take my charger with me, and I have a little battery charger that I can use if there's no power outlet. I live out in the country and if my car breaks down, or I get stuck somewhere, I want to be sure I can charge it to get help!

Today I got a Facebook memory that showed we had snow on this day last year! Well, today it's raining like crazy. Gotta love May near the Rocky Mountains - you never know if it's going to be winter, spring, or like the past two days, summer at 30C!

10. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

Today was chasing down water. There's been a major water main break which has put about 175k households in the region with either no water or extremely limited (and dwindling)water supplies. It's kind of scary that they didn't have some redundancies for supplies built in, but we've managed to fill the bathtub (so we have water to re-fill the toilet tank) and got three cases of plain water, several bottles of flavored water, some Gatorade and sweet tea.

There's some specialty parts that have to be obtained and no definite time for the repair to be done. When it is done, they've said it'll take about 8 hours to get the water flow back to normal/boil order lifted.

11. Reader

Reader Vile Critic

Oh dear. I hope you get that sorted out very soon. Going without water in this warm weather is no joke.

12. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Honeybee, that's awful! I hope it's back soon for you. I had water out for nearly a week once, but that's because my pipes froze! Never want to do that again. I think i had to haul water in for the toilets, and I showered at a friend's.

13. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

@Pattycake - sounds like you have English weather there, which stopped having four seasons running three months at a time a few years ago . Now we just seem to get them on a fast spin cycle every few weeks instead.

@Honeybee42 - Good luck with the water, I'll agree it's no fun when something like that happens. Had a mains leak before which meant shutting water down until it could be fixed...eventually.

Today I got to watch a group of men dressed up as Popeye and other assorted cartoon sailors blocking a train carriage with luggage and beer while discussing the upcoming wedding of one of them. Admittedly they were good natured and tried their best to get out of everyone's way before they got off the train.

14. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

@Kindler - I like that, weather on the spin cycle! Also, any idea why they were dressed as cartoon sailors?

I have spent this afternoon trimming bits for a quilt, and working on origami boxes for my friends' daughter's wedding. Well, the daughter I count as a friend too! They are likely going to wind up doing church work in Japan, so these boxes, which will hold candies for the guests, are a nod to that, as will be the place names for the head table. They will have an origami emperor or empress on them. All very easy to make, after you figure out exactly where that one arrow is pointing to...

15. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

Good news is they have the water back on, we're just going to be on a boil order until Monday (according to the latest news). But at least we can shower and use the toilet like normal, and just need a bottle of water in the bathroom for the brushing of teeth.

At work, we have a Keurig (everyone brings their own pods), and it had a sign on it "not safe to use during boil order". But, knowing about the boil order, I brought my bottled water and filled it just enough to make my own coffee ... because it's not pretty if there's too much blood in my caffeine stream ::coffee::

16. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

@Honeybee42 Glad to hear your water is back in order! I have a Keurig at home and I use bottled water all the time because my tap water is so hard that I would be replacing it every year. An acquaintance that lives in the same area was telling me about having to buy a new coffee maker every year and she didn't realize that was the problem!

17. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Pilled Matilda. Giving a cat a pill is an accomplishment, right?

18. Honeybee42

Honeybee42 Member

It's definitely an accomplishment if the pill is inside the cat and no one started bleeding!

19. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Indeed, pilling a cat can be worthy of a medal, sometimes! My littlest cat (when I had three) was the worst to get meds into. The biggest I could just put on a counter with my arm over him and his rear end backed to a wall, and he didn't struggle too much. The little one, she fought like you were trying to kill her, and she wised up real fast to why you had a towel in your hand (to wrap her in, like swaddling a baby!) I don't think I ever had to medicate Patty. She would have been a fighter too.

20. Terry

Terry Member

It's been warm and sunny over the weekend with a royal wedding and the F.A. Cup on. So today was catch up on nap time and relax, charge the batteries and so on. I'm so not looking forward to tomorrow.