Quantcast

What did you do today?

Discussion in 'Time for Tea' started by CatInASuit, 13 May 2018.

1. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Well, it's all just individual blocks, so no. If it had been applique on a full cloth sort of thing, that would have been fun to see. I haven't even set them all out on the bed yet or anything, so I am looking forward to that. I think it will be quite stunning actually, because all I have seen of the whole quilt is the small picture on the pattern!

2. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

@Pattycake - So how big is it going to be when you do finish?

For me, it was heading to the station for another round of Delayed, Delayed, Cancelled, Fully Packed, Cancelled, Delayed and so on.

By the time the new system is working, it will be Autumn and we will have leaves on the line to further cause chaos. Is one day of a working railway too much to ask for?

Yeah, I know Southern Fail etc. etc.

3. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

@Kindler I am not sure how big it's going to be! i will try to make a long story short - I got the patterns from a friend of a friend who, after buying 12 patterns at $15.00 each (not sure what that is in pounds (keyboard doesn't have symbol!) ) and searching out and finding all the fabric used by the designers because it was out at the same time, and after tracing everything for ALL the patterns on the fusible, fusing it, and cutting it out... she decided she no longer wanted to do it! So all I had to do was get background fabric. However, she didn't do the borders - what's up with that?! LOL! Anyway, they're on point (set as diamonds instead of squares), and I haven't set them out yet, nor figured out how I am going to finish it. But my bed is a double, so I am hoping to make it come out to at least fit the top of the bed. I have a lovely white bedspread that can go under it, if it doesn't hang down the sides.

Today I spent running around. Went to the pharmacy in one town, and it wasn't until I got home that I discovered they didn't fill one of the prescriptions properly. Great, now I have to go back, and I don't go into town that often! Then I picked up some leg cramp pills that someone recommended, hopefully I won't need them for a long time. Then off to the long arm quilter in the City to pick up three quilts, Costco for a few things, then to a third town to visit a friend who just returned from visiting Scotland and Northern Ireland, and London because I think that's where they flew back from. Phew, I am tired out now!

4. Zelda

Zelda Member

My mother kept telling me I should take my almost two-year-old son to an amusement park because my brothers and I absolutely loved them when we were that age. Seriously, she kept telling me I should go ahead and buy season passes. I'm so glad I didn't. I think it was one of the worst experiences of his short life. He was overwhelmed by all of the noise and people. He was handling it pretty well at first but then we made the mistake of taking him on a ride. That didn't go well.

We thought that our mistake had been having his first ride be one that adults couldn't ride on as well. (It was a merry-go-round type ride that was far too small for either of us.) So, I took him on a different ride with me. He did okay for the first loop and then it went downhill. My husband likes to think he's the child whisperer, so he said he needed to take him on one more. Once again, it did not go very well at all. He cried until we left (which we did shortly after but had to walk across the entire park to get to parking). It probably didn't help that it was blazing hot out either. We won't be trying this again in the near future.

5. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Spent far too much time taking Project Wonderful ads off sites, and replacing them with flat banners/other networks.

6. PageTurner

PageTurner Member

I've spent my day procrastinating. I'm almost done with Friends, one more season to go! I guess that's something. I'm going to make myself start writing in an hour though. Pray for me and my lack of self-control.

7. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

I spent the last three days out of the house, so I am glad to be in today, and in pajama pants and a tshirt instead of dressed up clothes! I have crossed off three of the four things on my list, which were to finish trimming some quilt blocks, launder the sheets and put them back on the bed, do the dishes from the last couple of days. Number four, I might get half done - at least vacuum the bedroom but I will probably leave the kitchen and living room for tomorrow. Right now I want to have a nap, all the more enticing because of fresh bedding.

8. penumbra

penumbra Member

I just pulled an all-nighter. It's a terrible habit of mine but it's the early morning hours are when I enjoy writing the most. It drives my husband bonkers. Anyways, I got a lot of writing done so I'm pretty proud of myself. I also managed to do organize my desk which is something I've been telling myself I need to do forever.

9. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Whatever size it turns out to be, best of luck in finishing it.

Spent the day preparing for the World Cup, scheduling meetings round games, chatting with fellow workers, finding out when the best time to be unavailable is.

Not to mention getting supplies for the really important games: England vs anyone.

A glorious month of some of the best footballers on the planet...and England.

10. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Spent the day yesterday getting two quilts ready to hand sew the second side of the binding on, and machine sewing both sides on another quilt that i started twenty years ago! I went to the quilt show at Sisters, Oregon, and took a class on making a quotation quilt. I was making it for someone, but they never gave me a list of the quotes they wanted. Last year I finally came up with a brilliant idea for quotes, and so wrote them in the blanks, and finally finished the quilt. The quotes - all have to do with sleep!

Then, I thought today was Saturday and I hate to do housework on Saturday - I was happy when I woke and found out it was only Friday! So today is for vacuuming and Saturday for whatever comes up.

11. jessica

jessica Active Member

Got the flu, so making honey and lemon and going to bed is an achievement, right:(?

12. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Yes, yes it is! Hope you are feeling better soon.

My biggest achievement yesterday was making sure the dishes were done before I went to bed. And I feel just fine! Today is quilt group, and our end of the year pot luck lunch, so I am looking forward to that.

13. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I have a new phone, so I have spent the last several hours re-installing in, updating and re-configuring apps and logging into things that I have forgotten the passwords for.

Yeah, I know, I copied most of it across, but once installed you tend to lose track of all the things you set up to make them work.

It's also frightening the amount of access it demands and the amount of data they can scrape from these things and trying to play hunt the permission is getting stupid. The new one had all the permissions turned on, for ease of use, which I'm betting is against GDPR, at least according to all those emails.

14. Jackie

Jackie Member

The person who owns the house I'm currently renting is in the military. He wasn't due back until the end of October but his orders got changed. The property manager asked us if we could move out by mid-September. Then she emailed us two days ago saying, "Just wanted to confirm that you guys will be out by August 29th." We never agreed to that. We have the emails to prove it. However, my husband is deathly afraid of confrontation with property managers/landlords, so he refused to challenge her.

So now, we're house hunting and trying to figure out how we're going to get everything moved in time. I'm supposed to go to Oregon for ten days for my cousin's wedding in the middle of August. This is such a headache.

15. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

Have you checked the Landlord and Tenant law for your area? Have they given you enough notice? Did you have a lease or were you just month to month?

16. Pattycake

Pattycake Member

What I have been doing for a few days is watching the rodeo (Calgary Stampede) on line, and getting a lot of hand stitching done. I got the binding on two quilts, and then realized, I could possibly get the last two blocks from an old block of the month done. Had I had a machine that could do the blanket stitch way back when I started, I would have done it by machine. That's why it's now called my block of the year! I am so happy the end is in sight. Then I just have to figure out how I will finish it (borders) as I do not want to do any more hand stitching - the pattern calls for more applique on the border -nope, not doing it!

17. tirial

tirial IT fixer extraordinaire

Finished the hair dye, and built a computer. With hair dye dripping down my back. Keeping the compononets clear of it would have been easier without Sophie's help - USB cables are NOT your natural prey, cat!)

18. Jackie

Jackie Member

We had a two-year lease. We could absolutely say "no" without breaking any of the terms in our lease. My husband just doesn't want to do that because he thinks she will screw us over when we're trying to rent other properties in the future. He hates stirring up anything. Like our microwave had a part fall off of it a year ago (not our fault). She said she'd get it fixed. It's still not fixed but he refuses to ask her about it. Granted, the microwave still works, it's just an eyesore and annoying that she hasn't done anything about it. She was also supposed to get someone to put in new windows when we moved in and she's just now getting people to come around and give her estimates.

She kept trying to get us to check out other properties she manages and we turned her down immediately. Thankfully, we found a house and got the lease signed yesterday.

19. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

@Jackie - Congrats to you, hope it all goes smoothly.

I spent today as I have done for most of the last two weeks, watching sport and enjoying the glorious sunshine.

Bit of England vs India at the cricket, bit of tennis at Wimbledon, some cycling on the Tour De France, but mainly the World Cup.

Not sure what I'm going to do now it's over.

20. Gemini

Gemini Member

Sadly, I've been doing a whole lot of nothing. I've got a couple of weddings coming up and was hoping to find a dress. After spending at least 2-3 hours looking for something I liked (in my size), I'm empty-handed. Why is it that I can always find things I love when I don't have a good reason to spend the money?