Quantcast
  1. Restoring a database problem, so some threads may be out of order. Fixing this now. If you spot one, PM @bookangel
    Dismiss Notice

What's with the mod edit

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Kindler, 2 Jan 2016.

1. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

I've seen it done in a couple of places, so was wondering what it was.

Do your mods go round checking all the posts for swearing and such like and then changing them if they don't like it?

2. Bookangel

Bookangel Administrator Staff Member

It's how we managed on the old Discuss board. It didn't have good moderation tools, so the only way to moderate a post was to edit it or delete it. Rather than derail a good discussion because of a random insult, the <mod edit> tag let readers know it has been changed, and there was always a mod post shortly afterwards saying why.

With certain members, naming no names, it became a rather regular thing.

Edit to add: And we don't go round checking. We used to get emails, but this board has an alert system, which I currently adore. If you see something we should moderate, click the report option and it flags us.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2016
  3. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Does that extend to just swearing? What happens if a mod doesn't like something I say, am I gonna got moderated then?

Doesn't seem right. What's wrong with a couple of curse words?

4. Bookangel

The mod-edits and original text are visible to all moderators in the log so if one does something you don't like you can appeal it.

The boards, like all of the site, are 12A (PG-13 to Americans). Swearing is only allowed in The Dive, partly because of this and partly because stating "this book was <expletive> <expletive>" tells readers little and is less interesting to read than "This book was a complete waste of the words and electrons used to create it, and I truly regret each and every moment I spent in its company".

Wait until we transfer a few of the Reader Reviews Romance threads to see what I mean.

5. porridge

porridge Member

Its all my fault 'cos they turned the auto-mod off on phpBB.

The S "I have an extremely limited vocabulary and few ways to express myself" horpe problem.

6. Tregaron

Tregaron Member

I always liked the mod edits because they were so sarcastic and you could normally work out what the person actually said from them. The old rules were that they would always be marked, and got considered a warning.

It might be wise to post the rules somewhere in a sticky, like they were on phpBB.

7. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

Yeah, be good to know what the rules are.

S<mod edit>I am trying to tempt the wrath of mod by unnecessary bolding<mod edit>horpe - :silent:

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jan 2016
  8. Bookangel

Reason for mod edit? Unfortunate bolding.

9. Kindler

Kindler Active Member

10. Angel

Angel Munificent Critic

You will find that the mods here are both cruel and unfair, but they apply it equally to all. ;)

11. Bookangel

"Wouldn't it be horrible if life was fair, and we really deserved all the horrible things that happened to us." (Marcus Cole, Babylon 5, JMS)

12. atry

atry Member

An admin who quotes B5? :D:D:D
    Take all the smilies!

13. Terry

Terry Member

The only annoying thing is their edits are more amusing and interesting than anything I could be bothered to post.

14. porridge

porridge Member

He means if you swear a lot, the admins can make you look intelligent. :cool:

15. Terry

Terry Member

<faux mod edit>Stop making porridge look intelligent, difficult though that is</faux mod edit> off, porridge :whistle: